1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gilbert Gottfried fired as Aflac duck due to tsunami tweets

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by finishthehat, Mar 14, 2011.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

The epitome of "too soon?", pretty much.

The story: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/14/gilbert-gottfried-fired-aflac_n_835692.html

Some of the tweets in question: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-10-worst-gilbert-gottfried-tsunami-jokes

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Apparently, Gilbert hasn't fucking learned from the mistakes of everyone before him when it comes to tweeting stupid shit and being in the public eye.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Apparently AFLAC just now caught wind of Gottfried's act. He hasn't been pushing the envelope on the Howard Stern Show as a guest for years or anything.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I guess there's a time and place for everything, but few blink an eye when stuff like this is said at a roast.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

There is a time and a place for everything...but this isn't the time to do it. A year from now, probably, but not today.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Stupid quack

(Too soon?)

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They gave him the ax, which is just as good as a firing.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

They had a problem with those jokes because 75 percent of their business comes from Japan. Yet, this joke's been on Youtube forever and never got him in trouble with the company. Good 'ol Corporate America selective morality.

NSFW

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

So it's OK to poke fun at people who have perished after a year? OK. I guess people have had plenty of time to come up with 9-11 jokes.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

If you're going to get fired over jokes, you could at least try to make them funny.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

To be fair, Gottfried does this in every similar situation; he has absolutely no shame when it comes to cracking a joke. I believe he got in similar trouble right after the death of Greg Giraldo. I still find the guy funny.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

"Fired as the Aflac Duck" is something I would actually love to put on my resume.

Draft saved Draft deleted