1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gil LeBreton's slightly racist Charlie Strong metaphor

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Tweet deleted.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

His new one is awkward.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Not so much racist as wildly unclear. There are many who would find equating Mack Brown with Leno a slam and Strong with Arsenio as praise. I guess Leno is the bees knee's in Fort Worth.
    I'm just very surprised (okay, not really) no one recalls the Brown and Royal hirings. I'd want a hungry coach who hadn't won a national title over someone whose legacy is pretty secure.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I wouldn't call Strong a failure as a coach. But if I were hiring him, it would be on the hope his best days are still ahead of him.

Why is it every time anyone mentions race, there's some sort of outcry?

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In fairness, most people who might remember when Royal was hired are currently staring at the inside of a pine box. It was a mere 67 years ago.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Strong is easily the most successful coach by winning percentage Texas has hired since Dana X. Bible - I don't know why Texas people are complaining.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Only in your mind.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

No, it's not only in my mind. If it was, it wouldn't constantly be mentioned here and elsewhere.

10. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

I'm sure there was no malice intended, but because it is a poor analogy, the most obvious implication is, Leno:Appeals to White Audience, Arsenio:Appeals to Black Audience. It's just a bad analogy, mostly because neither Leno or Arsenio are relevant enough to warrant an analogy to convey a point. It might have worked back when they were both on the air in relevant roles at the same time, and even had something of a rivalry, but even then the breakdown would be comparing Brown to Leno, who was the king of late night for a long time. Saban would be the closest thing to Leno I would think.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

They should have hired Lee Corso

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

To replace Brown or Leno?

Draft saved Draft deleted