1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Gifting" a car

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by always_looking, Jan 14, 2009.

1. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Rhody, thank you for reminding me to say I was talking about federal taxes. I'm not about to try to answer all the different state situations. :p (But many do mirror federal for gifts.)

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Wow, it's like SportsJournalists.com is a_l's fave TV show and BYH is Kramer, busting through the door and making him laugh.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Thanks. I knew it was something like that.

4. jps

jps Active Member

yeah, we got one from in-laws and paid something like a $15 gift tax ... it was a pretty small amount.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Maybe so ... but wouldn't it cost another $6,000 or so to decorate the new car with Night Ranger and Dokken decals? :D

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

What about the Oprah car gift situation a few years ago? I thought a lot of the giftees were stuck with the tax.

(I believe in Texas the amount is equivalent to the state sales tax. Same in Illinois?)

7. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

From the government's point of view, those weren't gifts, they were winnings. Winnings are considered unearned income, subject to income tax.

Draft saved Draft deleted