1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Gifting" a car

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by always_looking, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Need a little help/advice. I want to gift a car to a friend. 2002 Trailblazer, Kelly Book Value of about $6G. Since it's a non-relative, does that create problems or send up IRS red flags or anything like that? Any insight is greatly appreciated.
  2. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

You're fine. The current gift tax exclusion equivalent is $12,000. (FYI: if you exceed that amount, the tax is owed by the donor, not the recipient. Most people don't realize that.)
  3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Do you need any other friends? :D
  4. tart, thanks for the insight.

BYH, in this day and age, friends and family are the best things about our lives, so whether I gift a car or not, brother I'll take all the friends I can get. Especially 99% of the people on this board.

I pick and choose my spots to post, as you can see by the low total, but I've been a writer for 23 years and I've been on this board every day for about the last 6 or 8 of those. Whether you all know it or not, man you've gotten me through a few rough times with insight, banter, humor and just some good talk.

Yeah, even you slappy, going back to our Michigan days. :D
  5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh. Well I've got good friends, I could just use a better car. So thanks but no thanks. :D

I was actually gifted my car by my mother-in-law but can't remember the paperwork--it was no big deal at all, I just can't remember the forms and what not we had to fill out--so I'm glad waterytart had the info.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I just read somewhere that the tax exclusion is $12,000 for individuals, $24,000 for married couples. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.
  7. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Baron, it's $12,000 per donor per donee. In English: you can gift up to $12,000 each to an unlimited number of recipients. Your spouse can do the same. It's an annual exclusion, not lifetime, so you could continue the gifts every year.
  8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Mr. Hadley, do you trust your wife?
  9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well fucking played, sir.
  10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well. Played. :D
  11. Fucking awesome.
  12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

My uncle gave me a car and I had to pay a minimal tax on it. On a 6K car, it won't be too much.
Draft saved Draft deleted