1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gift-giving etiqutte (Mother's Day)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, May 11, 2008.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Yes, I'm beginning to realize that.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's what I would suggest. Take mom out for lunch or dinner, or cook for her. It's a nice way to spend a couple hours with her, as well as a nice gesture.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

For Mother's Day my wife & I didn't get our mothers anything.
    We just hosted them for a cookout. I did the grilling, my wife prepared a salad and corn on the cob.
    So they just got to sit back and relax - we did all the cooking and cleaning.
    Plus her mom loves gardening, so we let her plant a bunch of flowers in front of our house.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

EStreet MIL: "Thank you for such a wonderful day, letting me relax and all."
    Estreet: "Yeah, enjoy it while you can, because as soon as you're done with that hot dog, I've got some weeds I'm gonna need you to hack up."

:D

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Knock on wood no weeding needed to be done and she did all the planting before I fired up the grill.

Besides it was hamburgers and grilled chicken for the cookout, no hot dogs.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Just having fun with you.

But you and your wife did it right.

7. It's not just the gift dance. It's the communication dance.

It's when the people you love can't be direct, thus forcing you to guess about what they mean.

Then you guess wrong and get blamed for it!

Your example:

Pam to Roy: Dont' get me anything for Valentine's Day.
    Translation: Don't make me have to tell you what to get me for Valentine's Day. You should know me better than that. Thus this is a test of how much you care.

Here's my vote for saying what you mean and meaning what you say.

BTW how did it go WJ?

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I was confused if I was to get my girlfriend's mother something. We went over to her parent's house for a BBQ and such. I just picked up some flowers. Nice gesture at least.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

How dare your mother express herself in a way with which she is comfortable?
    Just explain to her that it's better for all if everybody just expresses himself/herself in the way with which you are most comfortable.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Next year, wait until your brother gets ready to give the gift and then say "Happy Mother's Day! That's from both of us, mom. Hope you like it!"

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Yeah. Become a sidler. That always works.

Draft saved Draft deleted