1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gift-giving etiqutte (Mother's Day)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, May 11, 2008.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

My mother is in Israel, which perhaps explains the Hezbollah uprising in Beirut...so this has been a stress-free day for me.

But the 'no gift' thing is just dumb--and a classic Larry David lesson. You give because you want to, no one should tell you to give or not give. You'll never go wrong bringing a gift, because absolutely positively SOMEONE is going to bring a gift, and everyone else will look like schmucks.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

This thread reminds me, I need to call my mom.

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Words of wisdom this Mother's Day brought to you by 21.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

There have been some strange family rules set up in my little world.

Because my stepfather is not well and can't get out and shop, we do very little for Christmas. It's fine because they don't need anything, what I need shouldn't (can't?) be bought by them and it keeps my stepfather from feeling bad - I guess.

I got a card, got my stepfather to sign it and I did the same. I think everything will be OK ... my mother isn't exactly a flowers type.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

"Mom, for years, I haven't done much of anything you've asked me to do. Now I listen and you're pissed. What gives?"

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

That's the right idea, Mike.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I rarely tell people not to get me something because I don't want anything. What's the point in lying?

8. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Can't go wrong with a card, and a basket of flowers......my mom was thrilled.

9. joe

joe Active Member

"Hey, how you doin'?"
    "Pretty good. How about you?"
    "Not too bad."
    "Good, good."

Social convention is what we're talking about here.

That said, I cooked for my mom today. As always, she loved it.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I left a couple messages on her phones and e-mailed her a picture of me holding up a sign that read "Happy Mother's Day." Eh. I'll be a better son next year.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That's one of thef unniest lines here in a while, 21. Thank you!

My mom is the same way. She's got everything she needs and what she doesn't have, her hubby gets her. So my sister and I did the next logical step. Gave her something she didn't need or probably wouldn't want...until she saw what we got her. THEN, she realized she had an unknown need.

The gift?

Sandels with hidden compartments in the heels. Told her she could put a key, her driver's license and money in each shoe. The novelty of it was more than enough to thrill for her the day.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Your family is OBSESSED with those shoes!!! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted