1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gift cards: Jumping the shark?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Um, you have to stand in lines to buy the gift card too.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You can buy them online, too.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Of course, gifts can be purchased online as well.

God bless Amazon and eBay this season.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

So I call my sister-in-law and ask what my 12-year-old niece would like for Christmas. Knowing how 12-year-old girls are, she probably wants some kind of make-up kind of thing or clothing. She's a little old for toys and such. Her mom suggests a gift card for a popular area mall (they live about an hour north of me but the mall is kind of in between us.

I get there and find that A, they won't let me pay with a check to buy the damn thing; and, B. There's a fucking service charge to buy the damn thing. So go get her a $30 gift card I have to spend $32. What a fucking rip off!

Never. Going. There. Again.

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i love getting gift cards. i couldn't be happier when i get one. i don't want some stupid shit you picked out because you like it. i want what i want, not what you want me to want.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I got some gift cards to stores I like and am happy. I get to have my fun over the next few days. I'll have even more to spend once I exchange the hideous stuff... and for the record, I would have rather had a gift card than something that showed no thought or love on the part of the giver.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And that's another sticky variable.

Someone who really loves you and thinks about what to get can STILL get something that --- to you --- appears to show no thought or love. Our minds are all wired a little differently.

The Amazing Kreskin, we are not.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Of course, you have to take each relationship individually. Some people do buy gift cards because it's the path of least resistance, and others because they'd rather let the gift receiver be happy with what they get instead of taking a shot in the dark themselves. Some people ask for cards because they don't trust anyone to buy them a good gift, while others do so because they want to limit the stress involved in shopping. Your mileage varies.

All I know is one year I got my cousin a $25 gift card for Barnes and Noble, and she got me ... wait for it ... a $25 gift card for Barnes and Noble. It made me think about the futility of buying gifts for people you've fallen out of touch with to the point that you couldn't come up with a unique gift idea for them. Not that I didn't appreciate the effort or the intent, but it sort of thrust everything into a different light for me.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Shit, one of the things I got my mom was a gift certificate to one of her favorite restaurants. Pretty sure she didn't see that as thoughtless.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Another good reason to get gift cards is not to duplicate something the recipient already has. Whether it's a book, CD, video game, etc, it's hard to know EVERYTHING that that person has.

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

My parents just don't want to put any thought into gifts. So every birthday, which is a few weeks from Christmas, I get a $100 Macy's gift card. I don't shop at Macy's--everything's too expensive. So I end up going there and buying my wife's Christmas presents with the card. Then for Christmas, they send my wife and me--wait for it--a $100 Macy's gift card. They don't send us separate things--they barely acknowledge my wife's existence (in the 20-odd years we've been married, I think she's gotten one birthday card from them. One.)

A couple years ago they slipped up and sent a Barnes & Noble card for my birthday. I must've sounded too happy in my thank-you note, so the next year they went back to the Macy's cards.

It'd just be easier all around if they just quit trying to pretend they care and gave up.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I don't like Macy's for different reasons; I think most of the clothes and shoes suck. But their cookware, Tools of the Trade, is a very good value for the money. Not as good as Farberware, but it'll last longer than the cheap shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted