1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gift cards: Jumping the shark?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

It's lazy and generic. But then, I have a small family, so buying gifts isn't that much of a hassle. I might feel differently if my family were larger.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The Financial Page in the current New Yorker is about gift gards. This year, they will officially replace clothing as the largest gift category. Retailers love em, cause they amount to an interest-free loan from the consumer, and people tend to spend more than the amount the gift card when they do use them.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

They also hate them in a way. Whatever amount is on the gift card doesn't get added to their sales until the person uses it.

So they could sell it in December, but it wouldn't count on their Christmas sales receipts.

4. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I feel the same way. I told my sister-in-law to get me an iTunes gift card this year only because I can't think of anything anyone should get me.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I've been trying to find a Black and Decker Autowrench (cool tool, it's an adjustable wrench that's self-powered so it adjusts itself) for one person on my list. The problem? The Autowrench turns out to be this year's version of the Cabbage Patch Kids for grown-ups --- sold out everywhere. My solution was to get a Home Depot gift card for $35 (a little over what the Autowrench costs with tax added on) ... with a picture of a candy-cane-painted adjustable wrench on it. :D

JR: Don't tell me there's no excuse for gift cards. This one filled a need.

6. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Did the same for my Dad. Although I saw the wrench for 50 on Amazon, so I got Pops a $50 dollar card for Home Depot. Either way, as much as I wanted to have the tool in hand (Christmas Truce, quote function funsters), my Dad will probably light up just as much seeing 50 bucks for his toystore sitting in the box. That freakin' wrench is sold out in my entire COUNTY. Good gravy.

7. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

1. Moddy, the dollar amount is a must.

2. If the stores are getting an interest free loan, then they can't bitch about not getting the sales on the christmas quarter.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Here as well. I hit two Home Depots, two Lowe's, three Wal-Marts, two K-Marts, two Targets, three Ace Hardwares and a Sears trying to track one down.

9. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Clearly we underestimated the sheer volume of lazy bastards like us (and our loved ones) who saw the commercial and thought, "a wrench that does the job of flicking my thumb FOR ME? BRILLIANT!"

10. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

I have a teenage daughter. She has made it perfectly clear that her mother and myself have no fashion sense. None at all. She is astounded that we aren't arrested when we go out in the clothes that we regularly wear.

So, rather than have her provide false gratitiude for clothes that we all know she will be returning...

It's a gift card christmas 'round here.

That way, she can go out next week and buy clothes that I will object to. Everybody wins ::)

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hold on a minute.

I never said it was "wrong". I just said I wouldn't buy them for my kids or loved ones because it shows a failure of imagination on my part.

But hey, I'm happy to receive them.

Chapters. Amazon.ca. HMV. They're all good. :

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

After the bitch fit she threw this year, my sister is never getting anything but a gift card from me for the rest of her life (well, maybe not that long, but for a while anyway). She's never happy about what she gets unless it comes off her carefully prepared list, which she never produces until about Dec. 15 (long after I've done my shopping). So I give up. It's not worth it.

Draft saved Draft deleted