1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gift cards: Jumping the shark?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Dec 24, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ahh yes. The gift card: The easy solution when a.) shopping for people who are continually renovating their houses or b.) someone you just don't know or like very much.

The beauty of gift cards is they're supposed to minimize the stress of shopping. But now they've gotten to the point where you have to SHOP for the gift card. Not just enough to slap a store logo on it with the words GIFT CARD. No, there's like 11teen choices...which is fine in and of itself, I guess, though you spend time going "Will they like the Curious George gift card" and "Hmm, this is for my wife from my aunt...should I buy one with the Target dog on it or one with Santa and all his reindeer?"

But now there are gift boxes for the gift cards. What the hell? We were at Home Depot last night and there was a bunch of these tool box-like containers next to the gift cards display. Impulse buy if I ever saw one. So of course we bought it. Because, you know, my brother-in-law would be like "Hey, goober, I'm not spending this. You didn't wrap it nice."

Later, I bought a Barnes & Noble gift card for our friend's new, we're-not-sure-yet-if-we-like-him fiance. The card is packaged in cardboard that includes a TO and FROM field. Great. Sign it, fold it up...and there's also a TO and FROM field on the FRONT of the folded cardboard. So just in case he forgets who it's for/from as he opens it. "Oh no! Was this for you...oh phew it's for me!"

Suddenly, giving this gift card is a lot like getting into Yankee Stadium, where you show ID when you pick up your pass and then, upon walking six feet to the entrance, you have to show your ID again. Because perhaps you have given the pass to a terrorist in those six feet.

But wait! While rummaging thru the B&N bag for another gift, I found, that's right, A BOX FOR THE GIFT CARD! So now the card on which you write a greeting is placed on cardboard which can be folded up so that you address it before it is placed into a gift box. It's a gift card with three fucking degrees of wrapping.

Next year: Gift wrapping for your gift card available at the store for a mere $5.99 per card!

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I think JR started a thread on this a few weeks ago. IIRC, his take was that gift cards were unacceptable as gifts from a loved one.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Well he was wrong. Gift cards/certificates are just fine, and I have no problem giving them this year to friends and family alike.

But lets be honest. Do we really need that much substantial wrapping for them? Absolutely not. An envelope should be just fine. Part of the allure of gift cards is that they're simple AND they're easy to carry. You just slip the sucker in your wallet until you go shopping. How am I going to fit a mini toolbox that holds a gift card into my damn wallet?

And I love them becuase it's one less thing for me to wrap. Heck, I actually opened a present from a friend early today so that I could take the gift bag she put it in and use it for someone else.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Damn. That's lazy. :D

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm impressed that Headbutt is wrapping it. Leave him alone!

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Headbutt knows all about safe sex.

Just...too...easy.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Got a couple gift cards from my family tonight. Both were Starbucks. Guess they kinda figured it was hard to wrap a frappuchino.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

No, that's RESOURCEFUL! Good job, FH. I'm doing the exact same thing.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I bought this big ass framed picture for my sister, and I'm contemplating trying to wrap it. And every gift bag I get I'll absolutely keep and save for next year. I'm all into that recycling stuff.

Yes, we don't need any little Headbutts running around, knocking into shit the way I do. Plus with the kind of girls I pick up get rejected by at the bars, well, you can never be too safe.

And Freelance, they can try to wrap it. Hell, Kramer used to put his coffee inside his pockets. Just stay away from the balms the Maestro offers.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Etiquette question: Should the amount of the gift card be on there somewhere? I've received two recently with no amounts, which I found a bit odd. I got one from my SS with the amount right on there so I know what I have going into the store.

I like gift cards, giving and getting.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

The amount should be on there. Sooner or later you are going to find out what the balance is. It is better to know before entering the store.

I've received gift cards as well as given them. I'm fine with that. I am incredibly hard to shop for so, just give me the cash and I'll take care of it myself. :)

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

All I know is cash will never jump the shark and you can use it anywhere...

Draft saved Draft deleted