1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gibbs resigns

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 8, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He has also been through a power struggle before. Not sure he would want to deal with that again.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That's what I tried to type. :p

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Oh, the excuse will still be there. Its name is Dan Snyder.

With Gibbs gone, don't be too surprised if Dan The Fan starts playing fantasy football with his little NFL toy again. He respected Joe Gibbs too much to meddle.

I have my doubts that Gregg Williams, Al Saunders or anyone else that succeeds Gibbs as head coach will be given the same courtesy.

4. Hustle

Hustle Guest

The AP writethrus mentioned this, but I'd say it has more to do with all of the off-the-field stuff - Taylor, his grandson battling leukemia. We all kind of paused at the Taylor press conference when Gibbs talked about appreciating life more and enjoying time with the people you love.

That seemed to be some indication there, and the sense of the reporting that I read seemed to indicate he'd get out. But since they went on that winning streak, there seemed to be a 180 - no, he wasn't leaving, he'd stick through the final year of his contract. I guess in retrospect the Taylor presser was more telling than we thought.

As for who's next: I can't imagine it won't be Williams, or at least someone in house. I don't think Saunders has any interest in it; same with Bugel. If you look for someone on the outside, that person's going to want to bring in his own folks and as we all know, Snyder has an awful lot of money tied up in the coaching staff, aside from Gibbs.

Another fair point I heard on the radio: If you bring someone else in, that's assuming they'll work with the structure in place - no GM and Cerrato, a lackluster personnel man that excels serving as the owner's earpiece.

I think, from this point forward, it'll be interesting to see what Snyder does. Does he go back to being the meddling owner he was pre-Gibbs? Or has he learned to let the people he's hired do their jobs? That will certainly be a factor for any outside coach as well, and I can't imagine Cowher (or anyone near his stature) would be interested in such a scenario. (Which I see Sam has already addressed.)

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.

Isn't Cowher exactly the type of big name coach/player (See The Ol' Ball Coach, Marty) that Snyder just loves?

6. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

The reason Gibbs stepped down ... he is tired. This was the toughest season of his career and he is just worn out. You can tell by his press conference yesterday.

People are saying that Cowher is going the be the Redskins next coach. They need to find a way to keep the keys to their success ... Al Saunders and Gregg Williams.

7. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

"Mark Maske reports:
    A person familiar with the discussions between Snyder and Gibbs said that Snyder tried to convince Gibbs to stay for at least one more season but Gibbs's mind was made up. Gibbs told Snyder that he'd promised himself when he returned to coaching that he would do things differently this time and wouldn't allow the job to consume him, but he hadn't been able to make that transformation."

8. As a lifelong fanboy looooser for the Skins and Gibbs in particular, it's a sad day. The majority of the fan base is so whiny, so petulant (much like its owner) that I don't think they really appreciated the effort Gibbs put forth the second time around. Did they underachieve? Maybe, but I think it has to do with the scattershot way they put the team together as much as poor coaching. Only surprised because I think they could be quite good next year if Campbell continues to mature.

Thanks a lot Joe. May you give'em hell in NASCAR this year (though in Toyotas, I doubt it).

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Gibbs doesn't reel Snyder in. Snyder holds a gun to Gibbs' head and says step down or else.

OK, OK, seriously... this year tried Gibbs' patience with Taylor's passing and the team's struggles. Still, the Skins did better than a year ago, so maybe it's high time Gibbs stepped down and returned to his NASCAR ownership days.

10. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

Snyder loves Gibbs and if anyone watched the press conference you would see that. Gibbs taught Snyder a lot and he basically begged him to stay. At one point Gibbs joked that Snyder had it worked out so that Gibbs would be there until he is 93. Anyone who thinks Snyder was forcing Gibbs out is naive to the entire situation and is just blowing shit out their ass.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Snyder could resurrect Vince Lombardi, make him the new coach and GM, and if one week later Gibbs came back and said he changed his mind, Snyder would find a way to kill Lombardi all over again and give the job to Gibbs.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That will teach Vince to go a measley 7-5-2 with the 69 Skins.

Draft saved Draft deleted