1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gibbs resigns

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 8, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It just did, and I am sure it has already behind closed doors.

Gibbs - Hey, I'd like to stay on for a few more years.

Snyder (who has already spoken to Cowher in the offseason about the job - OK

Cowher (on line one) - Hey, will this be quick? I need to call Miami back.

Gibbs 15 minutes later - I'm stepping down

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Cowher has said that he wants to take two seasons off. I suspect that that may be one of the reasons that the Panthers aren't firing Fox at this point. They figure they can give him another year and go after Cowher if it doesn't work out. Carolina has the advantage of being in the state where Cowher wants to live.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I think Gregg Williams is the heavy favorite to get this job. And it's thought a deal is in place.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

To: Daniel Snyder
    Re: Fuck you in the ass with a rusty hacksaw.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh, I doubt Cowher plans to come back this year. I have said all along that I believe him when he says that he wants to stay out until his youngest daughter is done with high school. Even when he was coaching, he really did go to his daugthers' high school basketball games, so he's not just blowing smoke there.

But that doesn't mean Snyder won't try...unless Williams is a done deal.

6. 93Devil

Cowher built a home in North Carolina before he stepped down from the Pittsburgh job.

The Washington talk might be a little glib, but why would Gibbs step down now? Would it be because Cowher is on the table and Miami and Washington are pulling hard?

The timing of this is what throws up the red flags for me. That and Boswell's column. This does not pass the smell test for me.

7. 93Devil

IMHO, there is a world of differnce in the Washington and the Carolina job. Washington is such a proud franchise. If I had a choice to coach an NFL team, they would probably be #2 behind the obvious #1. [/fanboi]

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Plus, Williams gets an extra million bucks if he's NOT the new head coach.

9. 93Devil

You need to add a zero to that to make Snyder flinch.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

You think Cowher would coach in Miami with Parcells and Ireland running the show? No way. He will want total control and $8 million a year.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. The only thing Cowher would want an offer from Miami for is to use in negotiations elsewhere. Why would he want to step into that mess?

If it was available to him and he was ready to come back, Washington would be attractive. Forget tradition. There's talent to work with. He doesn't have to start from scratch.

12. 93Devil

Good point. He got into many player issues in Pittsburgh.

Draft saved Draft deleted