1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

giants sign qb david carr...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Mar 12, 2008.

1. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Like the Canadian Football League?

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

one point: what carr may need is some time watching without playing. that's under the radar. since eli seems pretty resistant to injury, perhaps having a year to just watch while being coached up is the right antidote for carr.

possible?

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Possible. But who has ever raised his stock by standing on a sideline and sporting a hat? Of course, Carr's stock is so low, he has nothing to lose by going a season without a snap.

And for me, if I'm running a football team, I want a no. 2 QB whom I at least feel can, you know, not totally suck if he has to play. Carr is shot, mentally. I cannot picture him doing well for the Giants if he has to play.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

that may well be. my point is that perhaps watching for a year without playing could be what he needs. a little tlc, if you will.

not to "raise his stock." but to give him a chance to get it together mentally. sort of like nursing a battered dog back to being a worthwhile companion.

let him old the clipboard and work on some basics. watch tapes with eli for a season, unscathed. then perhaps in '09 he can be a useful backup.

just wondering aloud. could be a lost cause. for every testaverde or plunkett who revives his career after being a first pick bust there are the tim couches of the world. carr could be that. i dunno.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm just wondering when David Carr has been surrounded by good talent in the past.

Didn't think so.

Good move.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Doesn't matter how much talent the guy has around him if the fans of CHARLOTTE turn him into a quivering bowl of jello.

7. -Scoop-

-Scoop- Member

And talent doesn't matter if it takes you forever and three days to throw the ball...

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I will not stand for this egregious affront to the Hefty Lefty. Watching the Giants just wouldn't be the same without knowing that they're a breath away from putting the Throwboy under a center he's undoubtedly bigger than.

9. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

answer: Jim Plunkett

beat up number one pick. wore a hat for a few years and his final act was pretty good.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

yup. he's the poster boy for, "there may be hope yet."

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Was it Charlotte or the years he spent being a tackling dummy in Houston?

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Both, though more of the problem occurred in Houston. He had happy feet in Charlotte, but the line crumbled (too often) or Ritalin Child was gang-teamed (always), what choice did he have?

He can be saved. But he needs some reps in practice, to watch Eli throw with good protection to help his confidence and to see that you don't always have to run for your life in the NFL.

Draft saved Draft deleted