1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

giants sign qb david carr...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Mar 12, 2008.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

to a one-year deal to back up eli. anyone think carr's salvageable? ??? ??? ???

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I guess the Giants do...

3. John

John Well-Known Member

Did Lorenzen finally explode?

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

They're going to move him to the offensive line. He's big enough, after all ...

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Carr's last shot, methinks.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No. The Panthers knew he needed a rejuvenation of some sort. He didn't get it in Charlotte.

If Eli goes down and Carr has happy feet in the pocket with this team, the media will slaughter him.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I just don't get that signing. If the Carolina fans (hi Sam!) were too much for him to deal with, how the hell is he going to handle New Jersey?

Still a better investment than Trent Green, if only b/c he's not at risk of knocking himself out when he puts his head on a pillow.

9. Sam Mills 51

If David Carr has a problem with the media, he's not overtly barking about it.

Scott Fowler, a columnist for the Charlotte Observer, has repeatedly printed that he regards Carr as a really nice guy, just not much of a quarterback.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

This breaks up the all-SEC trio under center for the Giants.
    Is it Lorenzen or Wright that's getting cut?
    Or will all 4 be in camp and fight it out?

11. Sam Mills 51

Unless you completely abhor Carr - and I don't think most of critics do - it's a good idea.

-It costs the Giants only $1 million, a drop in the modern salary-cap bucket.
    -The Giants have Chris Palmer on staff, whom Carr worked with in Houston.
    -Carr obviously wants to snap out of it. No one in Charlotte doubts that.

It's worth a shot. It might raise plenty of eyebrows and the columnists will be anxious to sharpen their pencils if he plays, but otherwise it should fly under the radar.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I agree it's a minimal investment, but still, the Giants are taking on as a backup someone who couldn't beat out either 98-year-old Vinny Testaverde or undrafted rookie Matt Moore. I know the pickings are slim but I'd rather have tubby or Anthony Wright as Eli's backup if the other choice is Carr.

Plus, if I'm Carr, I go somewhere remote...Green Bay or something. First of all, he's got a much better shot to play there than in NY, where Manning missed no time at all with a shoulder injury that was supposed to wipe him out for two months.

OK maybe not Green Bay. if he has trouble in Carolina, life as the successor to Brett Favre would be even worse. But somewhere he can fly under the radar.

Draft saved Draft deleted