1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Giants owner Tisch says Patriots will go down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by badband, Jan 27, 2008.

1. badband

badband Member

steve tisch talking more trash than plaxico...

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/giants/Beware_of_underdog.html

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

If only we had a whole thread devoted to Super Bowl hype...

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Something tells me that's the NFL equivalent of openly dissing Michael Jordan in his heyday.

4. badband

badband Member

what sense does it make to say this? it will probably be ignored, but why do or say anything that could annoy a team that nobody would ever want to annoy?

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

steve tisch's father, may he r.i.p., was a loose cannon, too, his first couple of years co-owning the giants. steve better learn quickly this ain't hollywood. the patriots specialize in jumping on this crap.

only saving grace is he's not a coach or player. belichick will try to use it was ammo, anyway. not that any extra ammo should be necessary. it is the super bowl, after all. ::) ::) ::)

6. badband

badband Member

tisch's saving grace here may be that it wasn't in the ny times or one of the bigger tabs...belichick would definitely use this, but it could go undetected...and bob was a bit off the wall, but i dont think he ever did anything as silly as predicting an 18-0 team would finish 18-1.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

What was he supposed to say? "My team sucks and we shouldn't even bother showing up?"

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

If the Patriots win by three or four touchdowns, does what this guy said and how he ends up eating crow after the game become the story or at least part of the story?
    If I'm covering the game and I don't even bother with this angle did I just flunk Journalism 101?

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Yeah, the Bergen Record is a small paper. Only a circulation of 155,722 Monday through Friday; 169,266 on Saturdays and 191,401 on Sundays.

10. badband

badband Member

i didnt mean to suggest the record is a free weekly, but the daily news or post could've and would've splashed something like this on the back page and made it a bigger deal, i.e. plaxico's claim that the nyg receivers might be better than the pats'. the post, particularly, would've gone nuts with it.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

You're right. The column was only on the Record's cover story Friday.

12. badband

badband Member

as far as it having impact, big difference between being a back page in a nyc tabloid as opposed to cover story in a suburban broadsheet, in my opinion anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted