1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Giants just a little closer to the Super Bowl, Strahan Returns

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Aug 31, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Michael Strahan is flying back from California today and will rejoin the Giants on Monday, ending his 36-day holdout and any thoughts of retiring.

Tony Agnone, Strahan's agent, confirmed that Strahan, 35, is ready to play football.

"He made up his mind last night. I told him to sleep on it, make sure he feels right about it, and he woke up this morning and called \[Giants general manager\] Jerry \[Reese\] and said he's coming back," Agnone said. Strahan is due $4 million from the Giants this season and next, but had asked for a raise in a meeting with Reese in March. He also sought and received permission to seek a trade, but only the Redskins offered a sixth-round pick for the future Hall of Famer.

Strahan incurred fines totaling $514,368 through today, more than the $500,000 roster bonus he was given in March. A person familiar with the Giants' thinking said the fine will be reduced but certainly not erased.

From NEWSDAY

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

They're still a couple hundred thousand miles away, but closer, I suppose.

3. He should fill the gap quite nicely.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The Giants are a 5-11 team with or without Strahan.

5. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Closer to the Super Bowl? Did they get a new QB? :p

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He probably found out he has to pay alimony regardless of whether he plays...

Either that or he just wanted to miss the Soup Nazi's training camp...

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Wrong, they're 4-12 with Motor Mouth.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

He's about $500k lighter in the pocket, which doesn't help with his child support payments to Jean. ;D

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I think he'll be OK.

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I hope so, because he can help Latrell gets his yacht back. :eek:

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They cut a deal on the fines... No way did they make him pay $500K...

12. I call bullshit.
    I don't think Strahan ever planned to retire this year. He just didn't want to go through preseason camp.
    I think it will have a big effect on his 35-year-old body by late Nov. He'll be sucking wind along with the rest of the Giants.

Draft saved Draft deleted