1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Giants Duped On Their Super Bowl Ring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Those rings are not what they thought they were! I guess. Or something.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That's because he's smarter than two options contracts for Canadian pork bellies.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Actually Rough Mix and I are on the same page. It's you and your sidekick Boom who don't get it.

They are Tiffany rings despite what you'd like to argue.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

... and you are more of a fraud than a cubic zirconium.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What exactly do you get out of this? A ride in Boom's Hummer? A hummer from Boom?

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    FRAUD!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If I had a problem with my ACL and needed surgery I would try and go to one of the best - DR James Andrews. I certainly would not be pleased if I found out that one of his assistants did the work.

If I am magazine publisher and paid Chris Jones to write a story for me I would not want to find that he had his assistant write it.

Its the same with Tiffany if I were creating a custom piece of jewelry. I would be going to them because they are thought to be the best. I certainly would think less of them if I found that they had the product produced by the Acme company.

Spitted asked what proof there is that the Giants could have gotten more ring going somewhere else. I think the evidence is there in that the ring only has a carat and half of stones based on the press release. All the Super Bowl rings of recent past have had at least 3 carats of diamonds from what I have read. So for the same money the Giants are getting a lot less ring.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

It's still a Tiffany ring.

9. Boom_70

in name only and with a lot less bling. My feeling is that the players would prefer a ring with more bling than a ring that was "made" by Tiffany.

ESPN has a very good story a few months ago that spelled out everything there is to know about Super Bowl rings:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/rings

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Your logic, as usual, falls apart.

Tiffany designed the ring and had it created to its standards.

However, unlike an individual like Chris Jones there is not a Mr. or Ms. Tiffany who sits out in the back room churning these things out.

They have craftsmen who create the ring based on the design; the fact that these craftsmen may or may not directly work for Tiffany is irrelevant. In fact, maybe they went to this other company because the people who actually do the work are superior to the people in Tiffany who do the same kind of work.

Just because Frank Lloyd Wright didn't build your house doesn't mean it's not a Frank Lloyd Wright house.

And Boom, if there's as lot less bling, it's because Tiffany designed it that way. It's a Tiffany ring.

How hard is it for you to understand it?

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That is awful.
    Boom's at least, had a little bit of wit

12. Boom_70

If the Post article is correct then both of these stories are factually incorrect.

Taken from Forbes:

Giants tout Tiffany-made Super Bowl ring
    http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2008/04/02/afx4844774.html

From the Star Ledger:

Big Blue's Super rings are big and bold
    Wednesday, April 02, 2008
    BY MIKE GARAFOLO
    Star-Ledger Staff
    Michael Strahan said he wanted a "10-table" Super Bowl ring. By that he meant someone in a restaurant should be able to see his ring from 10 tables away.

It appears Strahan has gotten his wish.

The Giants unveiled the design of their Super Bowl XLII championship rings in a press release yesterday that included photos of the monstrous mementos, which will be manufactured by New York-based Tiffany & Co.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.