1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Giants / Colts 58 Championship Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 13, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Jesus, you're good. That was the game.

My memory is failing.

Here's the account of the game and my cousin didn't recover a fumble, he intercepted a pass for a TD

http://www.mmbolding.com/BSR/CFL-NFL_Hamilton_Tiger-Cats_vs_Buffalo_Bills_1961.htm

In the first quarter, Ti-Cats fullback Jerry McDougall boomed a quick-kick 77 yards to the Bills 10 yard line. On the next play, Hamilton’s Butch Rogers intercepted a Johnny Green pass and ran 22 yards for a score.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

jr - I can't stop laughing at this - you always have a better way - on anything -

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Just realized...Jack Kemp (third string, Giants) is the last living QB from that game. They could've set him up with the Mannings, and he could've explained the fight Gifford mentioned over giving him a share.
    A tale from Bowden's book might explain the animosity toward Ameche. The Iron Horse actually ordered Jim Parker out of his restaurant because he feared the neighborhood's reaction to seeing a black man in there. Ameche kicked his own goddamned teammate out of his restaurant!

4. Boom_70

Just rewatched - noticed that when the re- colored they played a cruel joke on Dave Anderson and made his teeth yellow.

5. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Low blow, Boom. Even for you.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The NFL would love it. A chance to soak twice as many fans for 50-yard line PSLs!

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

How close did Aurele Joliat come, I wonder? The bios talk about him playing for the Ottawa Rough Riders, but there's not really any info online. Guessing he was a full-time Hab by the time Ottawa won its first Grey Cup in 1925, but it's just that -- a guess.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, I suspect Double J will know the answer to that

Guy's a warehouse of Canadians sports trivia

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The 1960-61 Bills trained in my hometown, on the polo fields at the Seymour Knox estate. I remember watching them several times with my neighbor's dad, the son of the owner of Ted's Red Hots, a Buffalo delicacy.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Joliat gave up football to concentrate on hockey and did not play for either of Ottawa's Grey Cup winners in 1925-26.

I did, though, find a future Stanley Cup winner on both of those teams. Joe Miller, who kicked five singles in the 1926 Grey Cup to account for half of the Ottawa offence in a 10-7 win, was also a hockey goalie. He was the property of the New York Americans when, on an emergency basis, he replaced Lester Patrick and Lorne Chabot in the New York Rangers nets for the last three games of the 1928 final. He won two games, lost one, allowed three goals and got his name on Lord Stanley's Mug.

This is fun. Wonder how many more double winners are out there. :)

11. What

What could Dave Anderson possibly have done to you to prompt this?

12. Boom_70

The better question is what did Dave Anderson do to ESPN. His teeth were day glow yellow. Just sayin - since ESPN colored everything it seems like the technicians missed Dave's teeth.

Just to be fair Gino Marchetti had thick black hair growing out of his ears. It was very distracting in hi def.

Draft saved Draft deleted