1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Giant step taken in the return of the NFL to LA...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 14, 2009.

1. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

The first time there's any whiff the the Chargers MIGHT move to L.A., whatever ambivalence the fence-sitters in Diego might have at the moment will disappear like the marine layer on a July morning.

I grew up in San Diego, and while San Diegans typically don't agree on much, they're pretty united in their hatred of L.A. and all it represents. I don't think the populace would stand for a Charger move to L.A. Besides, there are a number of options under consideration for a San Diego-area stadium.

The Clippers? That was different. :D Bad team with a douchebag owner.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Indeed.

A source of some amusement for native Angelenos like myself.

Parts of San Diego are absolutely beautiful. They don't need to hate Los Angeles.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Neither do major parts of the region that identifies itself as "Los Angeles." Sprawling, yes. But an impressive metropolis along the lines of Chi-caw-goh or New York? Or even San Francisco?

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

No its not. Bike is in Bell Gardens. 20 miles west of Industry.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The "Might" has already happened. The Chargers now are at the stage where they pay a $10 mil termination fee (I forget the exact figure) and they can move to LA next year.

6. sportsguydave

I'd agree... That was one of the things I liked about growing up there ... Big city with a small-town feel. I've been back for a total of 4 days in 15 years, so I don't know what it's like now. I'm guessing pretty much the same.

7. sportsguydave

I'd agree... I especially love the mayor of Chula Vista insisting that the team change its name to the "Chula Vista Chargers" if it moves there. I went to high school in Chula Vista, but .. uh .. no.

Latest I hear is that the racetrack in Del Mar is in trouble and that property might be thrust into the mix. I'm not really sure what else is available in "San Diego" proper.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Arnold signs the bill

Wertheim takes up the topic. I really think this is going to happen. Guys like Roski don't become billionaires by paying millions buying the support of people for projects that don't happen. And this is money that is in the public record - imagine the payoffs that haven't been reported.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jon_wertheim/10/22/nfl.la/

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Jags already packing the Mayflower

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Code:
    Jags already packing the Mayflower
    Better them than the Bills!

Draft saved Draft deleted