1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Giant step taken in the return of the NFL to LA...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 14, 2009.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The development-killing Environmental Impact Review is more or less being waived for the new stadium...now there's really nothing to block the new stadium, provided of course financing is actually in place.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Now Roski is an interesting dude. That guy knows how to play the NFL game.
  3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fixed, to reflect the Speaker in the House...
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

there's no l.a. rams, so who cares.
  5. DanOregon

Here's a thought, does the NFL grant one franchise to LA or really go for it and promise to help foot the bill for the stadium and sell two franchises.
    If Houston was worth $700 mil, I've got to think LA will be $800 at least for one - but the area is big enough for two. Put one in the NFC, the other in the AFC. Sell one to Roski and the other to Ovitz.
  6. Oz

Oz Active Member

I thought L.A. already had a pro team with USC. [/reggiebush]
  7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Is there actual funding in place for this, or at least a plan that doesn't involve public money? It's hard to imagine they'll actually have any money behind this.
  8. DanOregon

Roski is a billionaire. He "owns" the City of Industry. I read a bio on the guy - he's climbed Everest, probably owns half of the California legislature and has other developers terrified of just talking about him.
  9. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Is there fan interest for even one L.A. team at this point? This is a city that has lost two NFL franchises and didn't seem too upset about it either time, as I recall ...
  10. BYH

BYH Active Member

A 34-team league would be pretty unwieldy. Eight divisions of four teams apiece is pretty good, albeit not as good as the old 28-team set up.

I could see them putting two existing teams there...Jax and Buffalo?
  11. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Reading the article, San Diego seems to be concerned that the new stadium would be used to lure the Chargers away.
  12. DanOregon

Between LA, teams grumbling about wanting new stadiums, a potential lockout and the UFL, not to mention the TV rights coming up for renewal in 2011, it should be an interesting couple of years for the NFL. The UFL has said they would be open to allowing NFL players to play if the NFL goes black.
Draft saved Draft deleted