1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GianCarlo Stanton - Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by manky_jimy, Aug 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Veterans' Committee, I suppose. But he should be in there.

2. manky_jimy

manky_jimy Active Member

When did Bobby Grich not being in the Hall become an injustice? He fell off the ballot after only getting 2.6% of the vote in 1992.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Carve out some time:

Jimmy Rollins: HOF?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wow, the snide is strong in that very first post.

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Buying a ticket.

6. manky_jimy

manky_jimy Active Member

I skimmed it.

I wouldn't argue Grich belongs in the Hall. But ...if I were to make a case I would point out Grich's OPS+ was better than Jeff Kent's, and that if Jeff Kent had Grich's defensive reputation (4 Gold Gloves), he'd be in the Hall by now.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Locks (6):
    I don't think any one can argue here.

Close, but not there yet (5):
    Beltran -- I think he's a lock. He's not a first ballot guy because of the clog but the writers will vote him in.
    Cano -- I think he's a lock too. The body of work through this season is enough, especially because of his position.
    Pedroia -- He's close in voters minds, because he'll be a career Red Sox and part of the championship success.

30 and younger, but on Hall trajectory (8):
    I don't think anyone argues the ones here

Over 30 (none of these guys are close, but might get in if they play well into their late 30s) (9):

Votto -- Votto should be in the close category. He has nine Hall of Fame seasons in 11 in his career. The other two are a cup of coffee and an injury shortened one.
    Molina -- Like Pedroia, he's in the close category in voters minds. They love his defense despite his lack of offensive numbers.
    Mauer -- He's in the close category depending on how you view him. If he's a catcher then he probably belongs as a lock.

Too early to project (13):
    Kimbrel -- Even has a reliever, he belongs on the 30 and younger, Hall trajectory list.
    Porcello -- LOL. Just LOL

Riptide likes this.
  8. cjericho

Agree on Votto and Porcello. Votto is pretty high on the all-time OPS list

On Base Plus Slugging (OPS) All Time Leaders on Baseball Almanac

Porcello is still young but he was an average or good pitcher until winning Cy Young last season. Could see him as similar to John Denny or Steve Stone.

9. Della9250

The only thing Porcello has going for him is that he's 28 and has 112 wins.

He's been a starting pitcher for nine seasons and counting this season, six of them his ERA is 4.32 or worse. His ERA+ is right at league average for his career. He'd be like the 50th active pitcher I'd say even had a shot at the Hall.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Molina gets in easily.

Mauer has zero chance.

11. cjericho

I meant I agreed with your assessment on Votto and Porcello. His last season was a lot better than any of his other seasons. He is still young, but he never finished in the top 10 in the Cy Young aside from the year he won it, same as Stone and Denny.

12. Della9250

I don't know about easily but Molina is like a fifth or sixth ballot guy -- his offense is just so terrible. Depending on how he ages, he's a better version of Omar Vizquel

Mauer is definitely more than a chance. I'd guess maybe 30 percent right now. He has the following:
    a career .307/.390./442 line. with an OPS+ of 126
    3 batting titles.
    Awards: an MVP (4 total top 10 finishes), three gold gloves, five silver sluggers, six All-Star teams

The counting stats are a little low: 1,917 hits, 928 runs, 385 doubles, 135 homers, 845 RBI, 870 walks but

He's at 51.3 WAR. That would put him at 11th on the catcher's list (And he still counts as a catcher by position: (920 at C, 471 at 1st, 270 at DH)

That's a really good resume for a guy who has no chance.

Draft saved Draft deleted