1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Giambi tests positive for amphetamines?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, May 23, 2007.

1. Runaway Jim

Runaway Jim Member

Because it has to be said...

"Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit amphetamines."

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for a cogent reason the union would ever want any kind of drug testing.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The union and the league are partners. When baseball has credibility and people are buying the product, both mlb and the players benefit. Testing makes sense for the union because eventually the negativity surrounding PEDs is going to completely wear away at fans and eventually both the league and the players are going to face even more government and prosecutorial scrutiny. When the government leans on mlb, mlb turns around and lays it on the union as the ones who are stonewalling on testing. Maybe mlb doesn't really want testing--it'd rather juiced up players setting records, although at this point that would be a dumb stance, because fans are now dubious in a way they weren't in 1998 and 2001. In any case, when mlb faces scrutiny for not doing enough, it has the union as a scapegoat it can point the finger at. The union doesn't have anyone it can deflect blame to. It's why the union agreed to the testing they now have and why the union will eventually probably have to agree to even more stringent testing. The union might not "want" testing, but at the end of the day, the union wants one thing more than anything: the highest salaries possible for its players. In order to maximize those salaries, they have already accepted that testing is a part of the deal and are most likely going to have to embrace it further.

4. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

wHEW!!!!!

glad a blackman didn't stick his foot in his mouth like he did - Oh wait! One did, clinton Portis - and everybody is talking about it.

YET!

This is demonstratable proof that not only is Giambi an idiot but a CHEAT!

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

This thread has me a little confused. I'm foggy today, don't mind me.

Is everybody assuming somebody within MLB leaked the amphetamine result?

If there's anything we learned from the Chron guys saga, it's that "we" never know for sure who an unnamed source is.

Quinn's a great reporter. Knowing how he is, he probably got it from one source and confirmed through another.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Doesn't really matter. Players I've spoken with are angry and seem to believe it had to be someone at MLB. This makes drug policy more difficult to negotiate because players (rightfully) won't trust the league to live up to its good-faith agreements, especially in terms of confidentiality.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

8. The Big Ragu

Surprised I didn't come on here and find this... Peter Gammons has been reporting that the positive test for amphetamines is BS. He has several sources saying it didn't happen and that Giambi hasn't had 6 tests in the last year. No idea what to believe based on what is being reported. Whatever the truth is, it wasn't discussed when Giambi was summoned to see Bud and his henchmen.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

So who do you think is right? Did the Daily News screw this up?

10. Lugnuts

Wow. Two heavyweights with opposing information. Not a lot of people know Quinn -- everybody knows Gammons... but in my mind they're both great.

Maybe this has something to do with what Crass posted -- the ADD medication.

11. The Big Ragu

I should clarify. Gammons isn't calling to BS. This is so vague. He is saying that multiple sources of his are questioning if the amphetamine positive is true. He's also saying that Giambi hasn't been tested 6 times, in actuality, which is what would happen if he had tested positive. Cranberry, I have no idea what the truth is regarding Giambi and amphetamine use.

12. Lugnuts

Here's what I just heard Gammons say: "People I really, really trust swore to me this wasn't true."

Draft saved Draft deleted