1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ghostrider?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Feb 16, 2007.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

3 critics I work with saw it at a screening 3 weeks ago and all came away enthused. They said the effects were great and the script was funny.

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

Lines were long and early for it at our neighborhood theater last night. We, thanks to Mrs. Editude, saw Music and Lyrics with Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore. Spoiler alert: Boy (old boy) meets girl (plain girl), they fall for each other, they split for a made-up reason, and they make sweet isn't-he-old-enough-to-be-her-dad music together.

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

It made about 16 million Friday night, above expectations. I'm curious how it's going to end up after President's Day. Initial expectations were for Ghost Rider to pull in 35 million for the 4 day weekend.

4. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Big Pern & KM "brilliance" on display (did SC get sucked into their negativity? - we hope not)

My review/estimates sucked huh?

How about this?

Ghost Rider:

1.) Biggest opening this weekend - EVER
    2.) Biggest film open of 2007
    3.) Biggest Nick Cage opening since 03
    4.) Beat the Disney highly reviewed (great metric of BO - lol) film by about 2 to 1!
    5.) Is going to beat expectations by about 46%!! ($51M vs 35M)
    6.) Already strong talk of a sequel with Cage and Avi all over it.

ANY way you try to slice it Ghost Rider is a HUGE hit and the film of 2007 so far.

Kids and guys want action not more sappy self important drek "gee why can't we see Hugh Grant play the SAME character for the 1Mth time (British fairy tale guy) with his lame accent & hair that took 3 hours to look like he just got out of bed. Only this time he will go after a girl 1/2 his age - dreamy - vomit!". Here is a tip on that save the money and watch another "fantasy" trainwreck called The Batchelor on TV - same thing.

Ghost Rider rocked.

Link for more info:

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/prez-wkd-ghost-rider-speeds-to-1-bridge-to-terabithia-strong-2-friday/

As far as why it was released in Feb it is because MVL wanted to perfect the effects which look AWESOME and it has two other MONSTER BB's this summer called Spider Man 3 and Fantastic Four 2, the Rise of the Silver Surfer. You don't release all the movies the same day you know.

You may not like FF but it was a huge hit and very profitable. The next one with SS looks amazing in previews.

Critics mean little to action flicks.

As far as "realism" it is a COMIC BOOK MOVIE. Also, I don't see many critics kvetching over the "realism" of Pulp Fiction, Oceans 11, Little Miss Sunshine, Kill Bill, or Charlie's Angels (that was WAY realistic - lol. ANY guy could punk slap Drew "not hot" Barrymore or Lisa "I weigh 2 lbs" Lee. GI Jane could take on some guys - but I would give her about 10 secs of playtime before I put her over my knee - lol, course she would probably dig that).

Nice try punking a movie you didn't see, likely didn't collect the comic books, & don't know the audience - maybe next time.

Again, not saying it is Lord of the Rings but it is fun cool & silly with great effects and fresh material. It is a FUN movie when there is NOTHING else out that most guys give a damn about.

How big it winds up - who knows but it is a great start and almost a lock to be profitable now (Cage also launched the Daytona 500 today - nice! (psst that is the market, but no one watches NASCAR right?).

Marvel just launched a new franchise...its called Ghost Rider.

JDV

5. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

As far as "not knowing the audience" goes, I'm exactly the audience they're looking for. And the trailers did nothing to capture my attention or my money.

Personally, I never mentioned a word about realism. I enjoy comic book movies and I'm fine at suspending disbelief. And, as I stated, I haven't seen Ghost Rider, so it may very well be good.

I was simply pointing out that it's release date says something about what the studio thinks of it. Believe me, they didn't release it in February because they were perfecting the special effects.

It exceeded expectations for opening weekend. Let's see what happens after this. It's still got about $70 million to go to recoup its budget. As you said, it's on its way to profitability, but "profitable" doesn't equal "good." It has a lot to do with what else is out there (hence, releasing it in February) right now.

Oh, and Fantastic Four was not a "huge hit." It was modestly profitable for a summer blockbuster. It grossed $154 mil, for a net profit of about $54 mil. A nice chunk of change, but not nearly what the studio hoped for (and it opened with a $56 million take the first weekend).

You enjoyed the movie and that's good. You didn't waste your money on a lousy movie-going experience. I'll wait until it's on DVD.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

All I know is that this movie prominently features a motorcycle rider with his skull on fire ... and badly executed skull on fire at that.

The trailers I saw made it look as if these effects are just barely past the advanced stages of Motley Crue's Looks That Kill video.

Speaking of which, I distrust any movie -- and any person pimping a movie -- that touts how good the effects are. Who gives a fuck if the movie sucks? That's like saying your best lay ever was some all-night fuck session with a hooker that gave you life-long syphillis. (Don't answer that one, JDV)

Hey America! Get on your knees, bend down to the sidewalk and keeping lapping up the stupid. There's plenty of intelligence insulting shit-stained, dog puke-like Hollywood gruel for everyone!

8. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Hey, when I was a kid, I saw that pentagram spiral out of Tommy Lee's bass drum and hit a vamy-looking broad and I thought that was the coolest shit ever.

Anyway, I walked into Ghost Rider wanting two hours of stupid action and jokes. I got just that. Terrible movie, but I was entertained.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

JDV's post reads like he's in the employ of a Hollywood movie studio, exactly the kind of opinion we've been lacking from this board.

Oops...forgot to use the sarcasm font on that last part.

10. i was greatly entertained by this movie. very cheesy, but that's what made it good. not every movie is meant to be schindler's list.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Hey Good Doctor, can you work on having Ghost Rider appear in this movie?

[​IMG]

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Draft saved Draft deleted