1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GGG-Canelo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I had it 115-113 for GGG but there were some rounds - particularly early and late - that were very close and I guess I can live with a draw too. Early rounds reminded me of Hagler-Leonard as GGG seemed to struggle to find his punching range and to get punches off. He eventually started to wear Canelo, who seemed to tire, down but never really made him pay for spending too much time on the ropes which was not previously a good strategy atgainst a guy like GGG. Canelo seemed to want to steal rounds late like Leonard did. Not a great action fight, although it had its moments, but a riveting one all the way.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Boxing's knack for shooting itself in the foot never ceases to amaze. Even when it does something right it still gets it wrong.

Boxing finally gives us the right fight between the two best at the right time ...not five years later after both are well past their prime (see FM/Pacquio), and not a clown show against an MMA guy ...and then it fucks it up and pisses us off anyways with the decision.

FWIW, every voice I've heard from unanimously thinks GGG won--every outlet, every commentator, every person. Everyone except for the chosen judges, that is.

And where did boxing find the judge with the 118-110 scorecard? That is too far beyond the bounds of reason to allow any excuse other than sheer corruption or mind-boggling incompetence. This deserves to be the end of her judging career.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Apparently Tim Dahlberg from AP scored it as a draw. I obviously don't have those types of credentials, but I didn't see it that way at all and neither did anyone watching in the room with me.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Didn't watch it, but from what I'm reading can live with a draw. But 118-110, compared to the other scores? Something's amiss there.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Well, at least one guy saw this coming beforehand:

[​IMG]

So why did boxing assign a judge already known for "very questionable cards in the past" to a fight of such magnitude?

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I thought Bayless had a pretty easy night, he warned for Canelo for that backhand punch and issued a few warnings to watch their heads but I don't remember many clinches before, say, the 10th round. As my old man, a hardcore boxing fan, always said, if you don't notice the ref he is doing his job.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"Unfortunately, Adalaide was a little wide. I'm not making any excuses. I think she's an outstanding judge, and in any business, sometimes you have a bad day. She saw the fight differently. It happens."

Exec on judge: 'Sometimes you have a bad day'

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Fwiw I had draw. Could see something like 7-5 canelo, or 8-4 GGG. The 10-2 Byrd had is bonkers.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Is she to Golden Boy promotions what Eugenia Williams was to Don King?

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I know a round could be scored something different than 10-9, but why does boxing have an even number of rounds? That sets up a much greater chance of a draw. Boo.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

De la Hoya needs a shill announcer like Colonel Bob Sheridan

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

That's a good question. I miss the 15-round fights.

Draft saved Draft deleted