1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GGG-Canelo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Don't really know much about GGG,
    but Whitman has 18 tabs open right now.

That should surprise no one, I'd expect. :cool:

#Crossthreadjack

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Hey, that's limp compared to my 103, which I will screenshot tomorrow.

Where's the blog? On your company's site?

Edit: found it.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Try to keep up, OK? Maybe a little?

Vombatus likes this.
  4. Vombatus

I had to appease the gf and watch some Bob Newhart marathon. Cut me some slack!

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Jim Lampley said it best. It was a draw, but that was fiction. I was rooting for Canelo, but he lost. Wow.

6. Vombatus

RIGGED!!!

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Man, I love boxing but it continues to disappoint.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  8. Vombatus

So, who were the judges?

justgladtobehere likes this.
  9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

A woman named Adalaide Byrd inexplicably scored the fight 118-110 Canelo. One judge had 115-113 and the other 114-114. 118-110 for Canelo?!? What fight did she watch?

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

http://nypost.com/2017/09/16/one-judge-could-tip-scale-toward-alvarez-in-bout-vs-golovkin/

Lara, still bitter about his loss to Alvarez, had an odd prediction.

“I think Triple-G will win the fight, but lose the decision,” said Lara, who will defend his junior middleweight title against Terrell Gausha on Oct. 14 at Barclays Center. “Golovkin is going to have to get the knockout to ensure himself the victory. This will be a great fight for the fans, and I hope it lives up the hype.”

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Canelo vs. GGG: Live blog, analysis, updates

Since someone asked about the blog. I was typing on the fly during the actual fight. I had it 115-113 GGG but I could see someone having Canelo ahead. But not by 118-110. That's a joke. She gave GGG only the 4th and 7th and GGG owned the 6th-10th.

They're setting up a rematch on Cinco de Mayo.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I scored it 115-113 for GGG. I can live with a draw in and of itself, but not a 118-110 for Canelo.

I do wish there were some sort of tiebreaking mechanism in boxing. Most people look at a draw as a cop-out and casual fans don't understand how a judge can't pick a winner after 12 rounds. It also makes it look like the result was contrived to set up a rematch.
    About 30 years ago, New Jersey would have guys in title bouts and elimination bouts fight an extra round to determine a winner, but that's probably not a good idea. After the final round, the fighters cool off while they add up the scores and throwing them into three more minutes of intense fighting after several minutes of waiting for a decision could be even more dangerous than usual.

Draft saved Draft deleted