1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GF advice needed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by nybluepepper, May 22, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It's a thread about whether or not to date a girl with herpes.

How well did you expect it to go?

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Taking the old dirt road, even wearing a condom, is no safeguard against the dreaded H. The genital variety of herpes shows up on groin, perineum (taint), anus and even thighs and is passed via skin contact. So going up, up and away into her beautiful balloon-knot won't keep you safe, either.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Damn, irish, dropping knowledge.

Knowledge that I'm not going to ask how you acquired, mind you...

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

During the hellish three-day period I was afraid I might have been exposed to it thanks to a meaningless rebound fuck with a slutty English teacher from Minneapolis, I researched the hell out of the issue.

Dodged that bullet, gracias a Dios. The things I remember most are how very common H is and, (another fun detail), IT'S POSSIBLE TO CARRY THE VIRUS WITHOUT EVER SHOWING ANY SYMPTOMS. Yup. A blood test will let you know if you're a carrier or not. Lots of people have the virus but don't show symptoms...then they can pass it on to someone who does show symptoms. Whoops.

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Any news NY?

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Probably could have ended the thread with the first response. Well done, Zeke, summed up very nicely.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm going to hell for this

[​IMG]

8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Well done.

9. nybluepepper

nybluepepper New Member

Not that anyone gives a rat's ass about me, but I think venting might help me out here.

After an agonizing couple of weeks, I broke it off today. She knew I had been trying to decide what to do about the situation and this morning she asked if I had given "us" anymore thought.

Here's what it came down to. I really liked this girl and she was the first one I've been excited to be with since my last ex. I was content to see where our relationship was going to go, but the STDs forced me to think much more seriously about where we were going much faster than I had expected.

In the end, I decided I didn't think things were going to work out. A statement she made one night when we had been drinking really stuck with me. She, being a religious person as I mentioned earlier in the thread, slipped up and said she didn't think she could be with a guy who wasn't religious.

We discussed it the next day and then "tabled" the topic for further discussion after we got to know each other better. Upon much reflection, I knew she was very serious about that thought. I also know that she likely believed I could change and might become more religious (I was an altar boy when I was younger and was raised Catholic, so it's not out of the realm of possibility).

I, however, do not see such a change on the horizon and I felt like that was eventually going to be a problem for us. In the end, we had two major obstacles between us: Her diseases and her faith. Could we have worked past them? Maybe.

Even now, I'm not sure I ever could have knowingly slept with someone who had herpes and, to a lesser extent, HPV (condoms appear to be fairly good at preventing the spread of HPV).

However, even assuming I could have gotten over that, I think the religion thing might have been a problem much farther down the line when we had a lot more invested in each other.

This morning was fucking horrible. She cried, and I don't mind saying so did I. She's a great girl and great girls seem to be few and far between for me lately.

For some reason, my streak of not having a girlfriend for more than three months lives on. It really does make me wonder if I should commit to permanent bachelorhood.

Anyway, I wanted to thank you all for entertaining me and giving me some solid advice. I think it was Jones whose words hit the nail on the head for me, but he certainly wasn't the only one who gave good advice.

She feels horrible and I feel worse. But I can't imagine how much harder it would have been six months or years from now, especially if I then had an STD or two in tow. Hopefully, this feeling will pass faster than it did with my last GF.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The best thing you did is this -- you didn't ignore the red flags that so many people do in order to try and make something work that they know is wrong or is going to end up bad.

You got out of it relatively painless and while it will hurt for a little you'll look back sooner than later and think "whew, I'm damn glad I didn't make that mistake..."

So relax, keep your head up and get back to chasing the patch every night!! ;D

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Well said by the Hulk. I agree 100 percent. Good job on taking the situation for what it was at face-value and not ignoring those "problems" because you liked her as a person. I'm sure she's a great girl, but those were some heavy things that went with her whether it was by her choice (religion preferrence) or not (STDs).

You'll be fine. Strippers help in the short term and in the long term.....you get used to talking to hot girls and it won't be such a big deal for you to approach one at a bar, mall, shopping market, ect. Unfortunately they won't only be wearing 9-inch heals, a bikini top and a thong. Sad, but true.

12. Jones

Jones Active Member

SportsJournalists.com, be proud tonight. You helped prevent your fellow man from being able to light incense, camp stoves, and mood candles with his pecker.

That's great work, everybody.

Now let's go out there and make a fat person skinny.

Draft saved Draft deleted