1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Getz is Gay"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Dude, you're just some anonymous jackass on a message board. Your opinion is not worth me lying. You just don't like the fact that I actually stick to my ideals, which shows that your argument is complete bullshit.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

So what is the argument here? That if you've ever used an inappropriate insult, even in your youth, you sacrifice the right to try to guide other youths into doing the right thing and not repeating what you now recognize as a mistake?

That's no way for a society to advance. It really isn't.

I'm not outraged at Gordon Beckham. I just want him - and he is, admittedly, basically a stand-in for all people who use "gay" as a joke or a light-hearted insult - to understand why it is inappropriate. Like I said earlier: Education.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Gordon Beckham is like Hitler, except far, far worse.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Who said that?

5. sportbook

sportbook Member

So we have parades celebrating gay pride, yet gay is a slur. Interesting.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't understand how some people are fighting for the right to use these terms.

It's not some noble stand.

Yeah, I grew up in a "stick and stones" era. We used racial & ethnic terms as kids without giving them a second thought.

But, times have changed. You sound like an idiot when you use the "N" word, use "gay" as an insult, or call someone "retarded".

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not really. It's a usage issue.

Jew anyone down lately?

8. So if you and Gorgeous George faced off would it be a full-on make out session to try to gross each other out?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If they ask you out afterward, you're obligated to take them up on it. Otherwise, you'd be a tease.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Seems like the natural thing to do before rolling around on a mat with them. :D

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No, when this movie came out, it fairly original juvenile comedy to call a guy a fag. Not something you saw all the time. Maybe he's looked at as more of a moron today, but 30 years ago (sweet mercy, we're old) he was a lovable stoner. I do think more people were laughing with him.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. I thought it would end you with begging for the Camel Clutch! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.