1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Getz is Gay"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Is there a point system for slurs where no use is acceptable, uttered just in front of a few friends or select co-workers, or plain vanilla ones everyone laughs at?

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Sorry, JR, I forgot to add you to the circle.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And the number of times you have spoken up when "Dwarf" was used is . . . how many?

Maybe we're just "comfortable" with our own bigotry, eh, and uncomfortable with others'.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You're right. That is wrong, too. If I ever used it - and I don't think I have - I apologize.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Oh, that's OK. I'll get over it

6. If anyone needs me I'll be on my High Horse.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why is it OK to use "gay" as an insult?

Take "outrage" out of it. Your stacking the deck, because, yes, a case could be made that "outrage" is a disproportionate reaction to what Beckham did.

But should people be disappointed? Mildly offended? See it as a teachable moment? Where does the "lighten up" crowd stand on "gay" as an insult between straight people? It is credited that you feel outrage is too strong a reaction. OK, then what?

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Honestly, outside of Game of Thrones and other fantasy-type stuff, I can't ever remember hearing it used. I did hear somebody use the word midget and I immediately spoke up.

But hey, it's easier to just make shit up to justify bigotry that you don't mind rather than dealing with it, right?

I'm not comfortable with anybody's bigotry, but apparently you are.

9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Yet in your avatar one robot is obviously insulting the other, probably making him/her/it feel awful.
    Double standard. Robot hater.

10. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

What is Getz really is gay and Beckham was being a dick and outing him? Okay, not really.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

This thread proves yet again that no group in history has ever faced greater discrimination than white straight middle-class Christian males. Heartbreaking.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"Dwarf" is used every time the subject of Mitch Albom comes up. Search for it on this site, and you will get more than 10 pages of results (which means about 300 discussions). That's hardly "making shit up." But you've never seen it, eh? Yeah, right. You've just said nothing about it, because it's an insult you're "comfortable" with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.