1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Getz is Gay"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There are plenty of people who threw "nigger" around in the 1940s and '50s who lived to regret it, as well. You don't get to write everything off as, "Boys will be boys."

Dude, come around on this. You are on the absolute wrong side of history.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

But who gets to decide "who should know better." ?

Shaq's a kid sometimes. A cartoon character, too. The result? "Ting pong wong ashoo . . . "

Athletes are basically dumb fucks. Why do we demand that they know better?

3. Dick Whitman

Wish that SportsJournalists.com was around in the 1940s as a young ballplayer was making his way up the Brooklyn Dodgers farm system. Probably would have read the same argument.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

So you're saying Gordon Beckham is racist?

BTW, Dick, what's the ruling on jabs regarding men of unknown sexual origin who have an unnatural obsession with clothes?

5. This ^^^

At some point the offended cross the line of hypocracy. Either they watch the Chapelle Show, Tosh.O, South Park or SNL and laugh at the fun at the expense of another minority group.
    That your the a Real World Ned Flanders, a man so in tune with offending no one with your humor you're as lively as a saltine cracker at a house party.

[​IMG]

Reader's Digest is considering two of my jokes!

If you can't' make fun of and laugh at yourself you have NO room to make fun of others.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Again, fixed that for you. You're welcome. This would be much easier if you were just honest about it.

7. printdust

printdust New Member

To quote:
    "I'm sure I scrawled something about someone being gay on the frat house walls at some point. Or made these kinds of jokes. Then I grew up."

But you won't allow someone else to do the same, which was my point.

But of course, you missed it. You're too busy trying to rewrite history.

8. Dick Whitman

Gordon Beckham isn't a racist or a homophobe. He is by all accounts a good kid and mature for his age. The interview with Telander makes it clear that he doesn't have idea why his "joke" is offensive. He knows it is - and his apology seems pretty sincere. But he doesn't grasp that it's the thought, not the fact that he expressed it, that's insulting. I don't blame Gordon Beckham. At this point, I still blame the country he grew up in.

When I mentioned SportsJournalists.com of the 1940s, I'm saying that, back then, we could have just as easily written off comments made toward Robinson as just boys being boys or "just joking" or "dumb jocks."

9. printdust

printdust New Member

Some people (mirror please) don't need to chime on here about being a morality teacher. Finally give up on obsessing with me in PMs? I heard mumbling at the door when it was locked.

10. Dick Whitman

Hugo Black, a United States Supreme Court justice, was once a member of the KKK. Think the mature version of him should have just "allowed others to grow out of it" like he did?

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, he's trying to help you learn from history, something you seem to be incapable of.

Damn disappointing how many people on this board are comfortable with bigotry. Not surprising, but disappointing.

And the "he doesn't know any better" defense is bullshit. What bigot does know better?

Is Beckham a hateful bigot? Probably not. But that doesn't mean he wasn't out of line.

12. Dick Whitman

Do you not see a distinction?

And what reason would the "hypocrites" have to condemn Gordon Beckham's use of "gay" but understand SNL or South Park? Obviously there is a distinction there. Laughing at. Laughing with.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.