1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Getz is Gay"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Ahh, good 'ol 'Murrica. Where we give more of a shit about the words that hurt people than about the people who were actually hurt.

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Yup.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Until we stop treating the term 'gay' as a disparaging remark, this is not okay. Would it be okay if he used the 'n' word?

4. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

And how many NBA players use the N word when they're talking to their boys? Total double standard. Not trying to justify it, just saying the N word gets abused and misused just as much.

5. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Only fat people can make fun of other fat people. I am so offended.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Different context entirely. I can use the term 'girls' when I'm talking with my female friends. When a client calls me a 'girl', it pisses me off. Using the term 'gay' as an insult is unacceptable, as is 'retarded'.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Tell 100 people an untrue rumor was going to be spread about them on the internet, and it will be one of the following . . . .

---- XXXXXXX cheated on his taxes.

---- XXXXXXX is gay.

The first one is illegal. The second "is nothing to be ashamed about."

Given a choice, how many people would rather have the second rumor made public?

In other words, it's a disparaging remark even to those who claim it shouldn't be. Because deep down people aren't honest about such things.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

People laugh at Spicoli, not with him. That was the point. It's like I posted early on in the thread. You can pull off that kind of humor in certain contexts. We aren't laughing because we think it's a hilarious insult that Jeff Spicoli called the other surfers a fag. Quite the contrary. It's funny because Spicoli is such a juvenile cartoon character that of course he would think that's an appropriate thing to say to insult someone. He doesn't know any better. He's a moron. That's what's funny about it. Same general reason we laugh at Archie Bunker. Or Ed O'Neill being uncomfortable with his son's homosexuality on "Modern Family."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

And then it's OK?

10. printdust

printdust New Member

I would imagine that 99 percent of us were made fun of something as a kid. I think we lived to survive it. There's a difference between persistent bullying and an occasional jab. There's also a difference in viciousness and this particular example. The way some of you speak of it, every use of the word in whatever use is Matthew Shepherd all over again. HUGE difference, though you can't see it.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

A good-natured jab at a gay friend who then gives me a good-natured jab about something like my clutziness? For sure.

A good-natured jab at a fellow straight jock in broad daylight - hell, in the locker room? Completely different.

Seems like this happened somewhere else recently. Maybe even with the Blackhawks. Except on a dry erase or chalkboard. My memory is hazy.

Yep, here it is. Patrick Kane:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Pronger-mocked-during-Blackhawks-locker-room-ce?urn=nhl-247420

You want to keep company with that neanderathal, be my guest, my friend.

I'm far less "outraged" than I am just a little tired of the fratboy culture in locker rooms at this point. And I say that as someone who, I'm quite sure, participated in it at points in his life, be it in high school or even college IMs. I'm sure I scrawled something about someone being gay on the frat house walls at some point. Or made these kinds of jokes. Then I grew up. I think some of us are just impatient for a generation of boys to come through who don't think of "gay" as an insult any more.

12. printdust

printdust New Member

Then let them grow up, like you grew up. Don't try to legislate it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.