1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Getz is Gay"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That made me laugh.

Apparently false analogies are all the rage on this thread.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Glad somebody got a chuckle out of it. Struck me as funny when I wrote it. Unfortunately, it is getting closer and closer to the truth.

3. I have yet to meet the individual who has failed to fall in some sort of minority category for which they were teased or lampooned. So yeah, I think everyone has felt it.
    People tend to make fun of others for their differences. Or label them different.

I am obnoxiously oblivious to the need for political correctness in society.
    My motto has always been "I don't discriminate. I make fun of everyone."*

Growing up I was made fun of for wearing glasses, being Catholic, too skinny, nonathletic, a bad dresser (stupid burgundy parachute pants!!!)

Am I going teach my kid not call a special needs kid retarded? Yes. Absolutely.
    Did I think Tom Jackson was insensitive for asking Michael Irvin if he was "retarded?" Hell No.

I don't think stating "Qtlaw is gay" is disparaging an entire group of people. Sorry. I just don't see it.

Was it Eddie Murphy who said if something is funny it's not racist?

* A copyright of Evil Orville Redenbacher Inc.

4. Deskhack

Deskhack Member

Ummmmmmmm....Yeah. Funny how it works that way. Given the shit a lot of gay people go through, I can understand that.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I thought it was funny when I heard it. Sue me.

Although if Beckham really wanted to fuck with his friend, he would have scratched "Getz gets extra pay to cover the insurance premiums for his partner!"

6. Deskhack

Deskhack Member

Wrong. Human rights are not, and should not, be contingent on "the political process". I'm guessing a lot of states in the south didn't get to have a "referendum" on whether blacks should be given the right to vote. We have a Bill of Rights specifically to protect people from the tyranny of the majority, and we have a court system to serve as an arbiter on questions of liberty.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Face it. There are some groups (or traits of people) you are allowed to make fun of, and some you aren't.

And society moves the crossbar every few years. Don't ever remember getting to vote on this, but what the hey.

Calling Albom the Dwarf is fine, isn't it? Doesn't matter that short people (not to mention dwarves) have to deal with prejudices and disadvantages, and God forbid if one ever gets angry or tries to better himself (Napoleon Complex!!!!).

Fat people are fine to belittle, too. Heck, they even "deserve" it more than short people because all they do is stuff their faces with Twinkies and take up too much room in the airplane seat next to you.

Southerners? Fuck 'em. Bunch of inbred, backward, toothless idiots who all wave their Confederate flags.

Outrage over remarks made toward any of these people? That'll be the day.

So then you are forced to "rank" the injustices done over the years. If the injustice to a grandfather (or great-great-great grandfather) in your group was grave enough, you get outrage when remarks are made. If you have just been miserable dealing with remarks because you happen to be a 5-foot-1 kid from Alabama, well, tough shit.

And finally, get 100 SportsJournalists.com members in a room watching a movie in 2011, and 99 of them will chuckle when Jeff Spicoli utters . . .

[​IMG]

"THOSE GUYS ARE FAGS!!!"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Funniest movie line of my lifetime...

So are we allowed to go to a game and scream out "Hey, Roethlisberger, you suck!" or will people be offended?

9. Mizzougrad96

"Where'd you get this jacket?"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. daman

daman New Member

Count my in the crew that found the prank funny and think that Danny the Coach was a tinge oversensitive. Beckham's a member of a generation that uses words like that as a friendly, facetious insult, and that's it. A flawed line? Sure. Anything to tag Beckham as a homophobe? I don't think so.

11. Mizzougrad96

YOU'RE THE HOMOPHOBE PAL. YOU'RE LACK OF OUTRAGE IS GOING TO RESULT IN A VISIT FROM THE GAY MAFIA.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I don't care how gay you are, that's funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.