1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Getz is Gay"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. printdust

printdust New Member

Don't watch it.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

One time when I was playing youth baseball at age 15, I wrote "Danny sucks" in the white chalk near out dugout before the game.

Danny was our coach. Great guy. Really liked him. I was just being a stupid 15-year-old in charge of the chalk machine.

Danny benched me that game, and I could tell he was really hurt. I only used his name because I liked him and thought he would think it was a stupid, funny prank.

I hate that I hurt his feelings. Hated that it made him feel that all the time he spent with us kids wasn't appreciated.

I've done a lot of stupid stuff, but that's still one of my most memorable regrets.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What was LeBron's fine for this?

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/05/10/lebron-james-apologizes-saying-retarded-press-conference/

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Uh-oh.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/06/30/tracy-morgan-retarded/

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's memorable because I thought I was just being silly and kind of honoring him in a way. But he didn't take it that way at all.

That's one reason the "It's just a joke" defense doesn't work for me.

I've done a lot worse, though.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly, though it also shows a significant lack of empathy or sense of fairness.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm with you.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, being too sensitive about homophobia is a non-starter.

Beckham's personal growth apparently ended some time in middle school. Only 12 year olds think calling someone gay is a "joke"

9. Mizzougrad96

He shouldn't have done it, but the sanctimonious outrage is worse than anything he did.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

See if you're straight, no one ever makes fun of you because you're a heterosexual, you're hetero, call me a hetero, what's the big deal?

If you're gay, but you have felt the persecution and ridicule that people have thrown towards you, your friends, other known gays, its no big deal to throw the gay label around.

But hey, if you've never felt it, you probably think everyone is just being oversensitive because its just one word.

11. Mizzougrad96

So, he could have written "Getz is a fucking asshole" and it would have gotten 1/100th of the attention.

12. Mizzougrad96

I'm guessing the people who are outraged by this are not gay people. It's the PC police and those who just love to be "outraged" over something that merits little more than a roll of the eyes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.