1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Getz is Gay"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. printdust

printdust New Member

Dick ought to be a lawyer. Or, dancing with the stars contestant. He does more legal two-steps than anyone.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes, it is.

(1) Using the word "gay" as an insult.

(2) Making a joking reference to a unique aspect of a subgroup's culture that is unappealing to others. Joking about "Dancing With the Stars" regarding gay people is like joking about rap regarding black people. Hardly the same as one straight person saying, "You're gay!" to another as a self-contained insult.

I can't win for losing with some of you. First I was humorless and "hypersensitive." Now that I explain that I'm not, and give an example, I'm being hypocritical, wanting it both ways, etc., etc.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So, you calling a show "The Gay Olympics" isn't derogatory? Is Hines Ward gay? Is Adam Carolla gay? Is Donny Osmond gay? Is Jerry Rice gay?

How is that not meant as an insult? Because all dancers must be gay. Gotcha... Oh, but you were just joking...

Obviously, Beckham knows Getz is not gay. He must have just been joking...

I definitely see the difference now.

4. Dick Whitman

Reference being to a segment of the viewership, not the participants, playing on the stereotype that gay men enjoy things like dancing and costumes and dance music.

You honestly don't see a difference between Beckham just calling someone "gay" as a way to insult them - scratching it into the dirt of a Major League stadium infield, no less - and someone making a reference to an acknowledged slice of gay culture?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm going to go back to my PMs where several of us are debating whether you're the dumbest person on the board.

6. Dick Whitman

That's unfortunate. The people from here in my fantasy baseball league had nothing but nice things to say about you when a thread came up, including me.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, yes, it does. If you can't trust the source, you can't trust the study. Way too many ways to manipulate data.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Awwwww, ain't that cute. I have another fan.

Sorry, but no sale. Using a slur against a minority group is not acceptable. Period. End of story. No matter what bullshit comparisons you want to make to it.

And no, I don't think those stereotypes you mentioned are appropriate, either.

That said, the appropriate comparison would be if someone were to use the word "Irish" as an insult, or "religious" for that matter.

Fat is a better comparison, though as I said before, you can't really count that as a minority any more in this country.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Too big of pussies to do it out in the open?

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

How was I left out of that?

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Flew back from New York last night, was thinking of this thread as I watched an old episode of Modern Family.

The Julie Bowen character was complaining about how she used to host Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners but she'd lost one to the Ed O'Neill/Sofia Vergara family and "the gays had taken over" the other.

12. Dick Whitman

I think you were the other finalist!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.