1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gettysburg trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hank_Scorpio, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I'm considering a short trip to Gettysburg before summer ends.

What is the best time of year to go there? Have the crowds been bigger this year because of the milestone anniversary?

Good places to stay? Eat? Best way to see everything? Anything else to see or do? You can do everything in about a day or two right?
  2. X-Hack

X-Hack Active Member

We went about a month ago a week after the anniversary. It was busy but far from overcrowded. I can't recommend it highly enough. We only had a day - I could have stayed a week. It's truly a moving place - I'm already trying to figure out when I can get back.
  3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

There's a good Irish bar off the main drag (U.S. 30) on the fringe of downtown.

I did a very limited drive through the battlefield a few years ago, and it was very powerful.
  4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I would wait until after Labor Day. Then the lookey-loos and annoying kids are gone back to school.

Take the individual guided tour provided by the park service. It costs about $60 for a couple hours but it's worth it. Those guides really love their job, know their stuff and have access to parts of the battlefield everyone else doesn't.

We stayed at a Holiday Inn Express on one of the main drags. Clean, comfy, affordable. Ate at an Italian place downtown recommended by the guide. It was fine. There's a bar right near the battlefield where a lot of the guides and other historians visiting the battlefield hang out at night, can't remember the name but it's right by Seminary Ridge, the site of Day 1 battle.

If you're going to Gettysburg take a day and swing by Antietam, less than 90 minutes away (just head south on 15, cut west across the mountains and there you are). They are the two best battlefields in the Eastern theater, well preserved, etc.

If you're coming from the south, it's easy to get back to the DC area and points south from Antietam, via Harpers Ferry and Leesburg Pike.
  5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The place I always suggest to folks going through Gettysburg is The Pub, right on the square. Good Italian, good pasta, good everything.

6. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Also visit Ike's house
    I can be a bit disconcerting to be focused on 1863 all day and then suddenly be talking about 1952 but it is worth the trip
  7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It was good Italian food but even better pasta.
  8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Gettysburg is one of the great historic places of this country. Just me but I prefer the self guided tour over the paid tour. You can get map at visitor center
    and drive around in order of how battle went by day. Not having guide gives you more time to absorb for yourself. Would definitely go to museum
    at visitor center.

Echo Shottie's recommendation of The Pub if you want to get away from the chains. Hotels pretty much blend together between Hampton, Hilton Garden, etc.
    Found the Wynhdam to be a bit more upscale but a bit farther away from most exhibits. Would go with place that you get best rate.

Last day of battle was Picketts Charge. Stand at top where the north was positioned and understand how ill conceived the Rebs plan was.
  9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I was at Gettysburg with my family, brother's family and parents about two months ago. Like someone else said, we spent two days there but could have spent a week.

We had a park ranger give us a driving tour, so it was pretty informative. My favorite stops when we returned the next day to tour the battlefield ourselves included the Wheatfield, Devil's Den, the national cemetery and Little Round Top. My only regret was not getting up at dawn our second day there with my brother and dad to drive around the battlefield. Few people are out there, and there's often a fog that, couple with the peace, can make the battlefield quite eerie.

Can't give any food recommendations. Pickett's Buffet was pretty standard. We didn't stop downtown but drove through and it looked pretty neat.
  10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm probably either going sometime next week or the first week in September.

Are there two museums, one at the battlefield site and one in the city? I remember an American Pickers episode where they had to find Civil War stuff for the museum there and it looked like it was downtown.

So if you do the self-guided tour, there are parking spots around each of the different battlefield spots?
  11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yes, there are some parking spots and also lots of place to pull over. To each his own but we preferred the guide. He drove the car for us (he was a cop from Columbus so we were comfortable with that) so we could just take in everythig he said and not worry about driving.
  12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

As Mic said to each his own. I prefer the self guided tour as I wanted to adsorb on my own. The National Parks guided tour map is easy to use. You want to start
    at day one and drive around in order of battle. Plenty of parking at all stops.

Here is the map. Just follow the numbers.

Draft saved Draft deleted