1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gettysburg (History Channel's Civil War Week)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hank_Scorpio, May 30, 2011.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

He lived and breathed it. Over 25 honorary degrees and a Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Read his Army of the Potomac trilogy -- it will knock you flat on your ass.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I will admit to having not been too familiar with Catton.
    But I will cast a vote in favor of my man Shelby Foote.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson is a great one-volume treatment on the subject.

4. Shoeless Joe

I went to a reenactment this afternoon, first one I've been to in several years, and realized it wouldn't be a good hobby for me to get into. I'm sure eventually when my side was scripted to be on the bad end of it I'd get swept up in emotion, launch a one-man charge and bludgeon somebody or something!

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

This.

McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom should be one of the first places the fledgling Civil War junkie should visit.

Not this.

What they've done to the network formerly known as the History Channel is fucking disgraceful. Mrs. Birdscribe teaches U.S. History at the local CC. I ask her every time I see a promo for one of these shows: "What week are you lecturing on the ice road truckers or the swamp people?"

I get the requisite icy "I'm not" response.

That said, I always point out that my dad and uncle were 30 years early. Had there been a "Pawn Stars" in the 1970s and 1980s, the Stud Puppet and his brother would have been naturals. They're the original Pawn Stars.

6. Shoeless Joe

McPherson is a douche. Nothing fucking more.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with ice road truckers, lumber workers or swamp people, but 99.997% of what they do is not "history."

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Exactly. Put them on Discovery Channel or TLC. They're fine there. They don't fucking belong on a channel ostensibly called "The History Channel."

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Care to elaborate, SJ? Not casting aspersions one way or another; just curious about the broadside.

10. Shoeless Joe

He is known for making ill informed statements - either out of ignorance or malice - linking heritage groups to neo-Nazis. It's because of him there is a need for the Sons of Confederate Veterans and the United Daughters of the Confederacy.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Let's see. Distinguished American historian vs. Professional Descendants of Traitors in Defense of Slavery. Tough call.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think it's a brilliant move by the history channel merge reality tv with real history. It shows what America once was and the idiot nation that we have become.

We now take our cue from pawn shop owners instead of Generals.

Draft saved Draft deleted