1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting 'untracked'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 19, 2015.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

You usually have to use verbal before you get the oral.

2. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Been there. During a brief period in the late 1990s when I supervised the sports copy desk, I came into the office after a day off to find that morning's paper waiting for me, with a similar headline circled in red and a note from my boss: "???"

I had to explain to him (and the executive editor, who joined the conversation) why the word has only one S — the root word is "deserve" — but they were still upset because they had taken dozens of calls from readers incorrectly pointing out the "error." I held the line — the copy editor who wrote it was right, and they were wrong. It took a lot of dictionaries and reference books, but eventually they begrudgingly acknowledged it.

The only fallout I shared with the copy editor — a former editor on the features desk — was that stupidity ran rampant among our readership, so the sports section might not have been the best venue for such intellectual word play.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I will admit that I thought it was just desserts. On the other hand, it's also a phrase I would try hard not to use in a headline or story.

4. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I only not just understood you meant the issue was shortening commit, not making commitment a noun. That clicks.

At a point, I wonder how much "style" becomes more about pet peeves than anything else. I understand when it goes to clarity/conciseness, but at times, it feels like a grandiose game of gotcha and arguing over something that ends up being beside the point.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I've finally raised the white flag on "grow" when used for non-living things.

It all started with Bill Clinton, of course, and his attempts to "grow" the economy. Since then I've covered city council meetings where officials talk about "growing" the number of parking spaces. I just grit my teeth and quote 'em.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I still change over most of the time, more out of habit. I let that, as well as commit, slide occasionally. I figure people understand it either way and it has become too common to change every time.

Style certainly CAN be a waste of time, but grammar is our business, and it's critical. I don't spend time haggling about it, but I am constantly looking things up and double-checking when time permits. I like these discussions here so we can get other opinions/learn from each other.

gravehunter likes this.
  7. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

I'd argue that our business is reporting the news.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Uhh. No shit? But after that, we have to fix your shit!

9. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

It's a fair point. As noted, I've changed things over the years in copy that don't necessarily bother my co-workers (and they've changed things I let through).

On the other hand, I'd argue that the word that started this thread (untracked) clearly goes over the cliche line. And my subtropical corner of the world will have to freeze over before I regard awful "words" such as "efforting" and "medalled" as acceptable uses of the language.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The modern one that drives me nuts is "tweeted out." No, you did not tweet out your thoughts on the game. You tweeted. Every tweet goes out. Unless it's a DM, which isn't really a tweet.

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I have no problem with "tweeted out." You print out a document, no? You send out thoughts and prayers, no? It's a little redundant, but no more than in most usages.

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

No. You print a document.

FileNotFound likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted