1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting 'untracked'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 19, 2015.

1. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I always figured that was just the recruiting lingo, which became normalized. Then again, I've been in newsrooms which were emphatic about either verbal or oral commitments, both of which are jargon again, but only one of which sounds right to me.

reformedhack likes this.
  2. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

In a similar vein, pet peeves of mine (although many of many of my fellow deskers over the years haven't minded these) are certain nouns turned into verbs. The two that drive me most crazy are "impact" and effort" -- for example, "Injuries are impacting the Bears," and "The Cardinals are efforting a trade."

Also, I've seen certain papers use "pledge" as a noun instead of "commit" in recruiting stories -- "Smith is a TCU pledge." Not sure that's much better, but at least "pledge" does have some occasional uses as a noun in everyday language.

reformedhack likes this.
  3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Goodness. I might break something if one of our writers wrote "efforting a trade " And why even use verbal or oral (NO!). It's just a commitment. And pledge? It's worse. He/she ain't joining a fraternity/sorority!

SFIND and reformedhack like this.
  4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Sorry Bronc, the oral/verbal thing was dirtybird. But the point stands.

5. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

No problem.. In fact, this discussion has stirred unpleasant memories of a writer I worked with who, instead of "verbal commitment," would write that a prospect "verballed." Ugh!

Also reminds me that in August we'll be dealing with Olympic stories in which athletes "medalled." Double ugh!

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this article. Interesting read. I've always despised the phrase "untracked." I'm like most in the article. It sounds like you've already gone off the rails and need to get back on track. I never use it, and when I see it by our other staffers, I make sure to rework it.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

My biggest pet peeve used to be over/more than, but I've mostly let that go.

The one that drives me nuts these days is "very unique," "most unique" or "really unique." I hear one of those variations probably five or six times a week.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I love to see that in a quote!

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I swear I have heard versions of that song where Fogarty threw in "bathroom on the right" once or twice.

BDC99 likes this.
  11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the original column, Steak. I think linquistics is facsinating.

Sometimes we have to get over ourselves a bit. Language evolves. Getting untracked may have started as a mistake but caught on and is widely understood.

Verbs are used as nouns and that becomes acceptable use.

Fussing about the distinction between a verbal and oral commitment does not seem like a good use of time, energy or aggravation.

Anyway, I could get used to "verballing" but would like to throw "efforting" under the bus.

Donny in his element and BDC99 like this.
  12. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

I once used the headline Just deserts on a centerpiece, and the designer came in the next day to find a proof bleeding with red urging him to double-check headlines before sending the page. I had to explain to the ME that the headline was just fine.

Draft saved Draft deleted