1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting traffic to your blog?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by badger1998, Mar 26, 2007.

1. badger1998

badger1998 New Member

My paper/section just started a new blog - on preps, pros, college, local athletes, etc...

We're blogging all the time and promoting our new blog on sports cover, on paper's web page, on sports main web page but still almost no comments!

Any ideas on how to drive traffic - better promotion ideas, topics, style of blog, etc... - would be appreciated.

2. Naked ladies.

3. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

start a username on here as the name of the blog. that seems to work OK.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Keep the cross-promotion going, write interesting stuff that isn't run-of-the-mill. Insightful but not newspaper-worthy. The 20 grand bet between Gilbert Arenas and DeShaun Stevenson in practice is a perfect example.

More so, just keep at it, people will find it and you'll see the readership grow in front of your eyes.

5. I'd say being consistent is the most important. If it's always there, people will eventually keep checking it. But if you slack off, which is easy to do with an actual newspaper to put out, readership will drop dramatically. Either do it on a set schedule, or be updating it all the time. That's the best way.

6. musicman

musicman Member

Incorporate gambling. Tease it -- always. Like sex, it sells.

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Comments aren't as important as page views. Actually, I'd say comments aren't usually indicative of the number of page views you actually have.

8. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Link to other blogs.

A mention of your blog in the newspaper won't get you nearly as many hits as you think.
    Get a link from a big-time blog = lots of hits

9. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

A_F is right.

(I just had to post this, just so I could say I'd said it one time.)

10. donaugust

donaugust Member

If registration is required to post comments, perhaps a trial period to open in which the registration requirement is suspended would give a kick-start.

11. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

And honestly unless there's something interactive in the blog, i.e. some poll or asking for readers' input, you aren't going to get many comment. I've found that most people only take the time to make a comment when they disagree with/dislike what you wrote.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

Tub girl.

Draft saved Draft deleted