1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting to Yankee Stadium

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beefncheddar, May 30, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Now it will. Just make sure he's not slumping when you go there.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There are a handful of hotels near JFK. Nothing great but I think there's a Ramada or a Hilton.

By cab, probably 45 minutes. You can probably use the subway, too, but I'll leave that to people who've taken a subway to JFK.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

When I flew into JFK last weekend, I took the Airtrain (about 5-10 minutes to Jamaica Station), then jumped on the E train to 53rd and Lexington. That total trip was like 40 minutes, I think. It's $7 ($5 for the airtrain, $2 for the subway).

I was going to the UES, however, not to Yankee Stadium. So figure out how to get to Yankee Stadium from Jamaica Station, it's $2. If time is your concern, cab it. If money is, take the subway. I tend to avoid the cabs if I can because I don't know the city well enough to know if the cabby's jerking me around by driving me the long way.

OK, taking a quick look at this map:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

It looks like you'd take the AirTrain to Jamaica Station, get on the E, take it to 53rd and Lexington (looks like, someone else can correct me) and get on the 4 up to 161st Street, which is the Yankee Stadium stop. So, two train switches, only one that isn't the only option, and you're there.

4. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

I'm not sure about all the fuss about not driving into the Bronx, especially during the day. It's a quick drive to the Stadium from the GW, easy in, easy out. And free parking along the Grand Concourse (five minute walk to the Stadium), which is always a busy street so safety isn't an issue. We used to park our car in the park adjacent to the Stadium, but seeing as they're building the new Yankee Stadium there, that's obviously out.

But, seeing as you'll be staying in a hotel elsewhere in the city, the subway makes the most sense. But, because it's a night game, I can't stress this enough: I highly recommend heading to the Bronx early, get to the Stadium and find a cab. Tell them to take you to Little Italy on Arthur Ave. (It's a short drive and inexpensive). Plenty of great restaurants and Italian bakeries, etc.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

You can also take the Air train from JFK to the Howard Beach (instead of Jamaica) stop. Take the A train all the way to 145th and transfer there. It's like three stops after that to Yankee Stadium.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Fair enough. I just looked at the map and saw the A looked like it went more out of the way. But it's probably easier.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I've never taken the E so it might be faster. And the A can take forever to get to Manhattan, but it does then go express from 59th to 125th and then 145. Tomorrow morning I'll actually be taking my semi-regular A train trip from hell as I'm going to JFK. Except I live by the first stop, and JFK is damn near the last stop. Not a fun ride, but better than the 60 dollar cab rides.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

But do you really want to be taking NYC trip advice from someone called Small Town Guy?

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

now THAT'S irony!!!

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Resurrecting the thread since I'm taking my boys to their first game at Yankee Stadium or Citi Field since we moved back East.

We live near Stroudsburg, Pa., so I'm either thinking about NJ Transit and the Subway or driving as it's almost a straight shot on I-80/95 to The Bronx. For Citi Field, I'd take NJ Transit to Penn Station and the LIRR to Citi Field.

The Mets are also an option since we've lived in Colorado and usually hit a Rockies game on what used to be our annual trip there.

As a sidenote, tickets are ridiculously cheap on StubHub for the Orioles series. $3-4 for an upper deck seat behind home plate.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I made a trip out there last year and parked in the garage located underneath the turf field here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=yankee+stadium&aq=&sll=41.868766,-72.49369&sspn=0.008693,0.01929&ie=UTF8&hq=yankee+stadium&hnear=Yankee+Stadium,+New+York+10452&ll=40.828943,-73.928504&spn=0.004213,0.009645&t=h&z=17

I don't remember if it was expensive, but I remember thinking it would probably cost around $30 to park there and whatever the price was, it didn't upset me.

A nice little walk across the street and easy access from the highways.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Practice, practice, practice.

Draft saved Draft deleted