1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting to Yankee Stadium

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beefncheddar, May 30, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Same advice as everyone else here. No idea where you are coming from, but take the subway. It gets you in and out quickly and it is PERFECTLY safe. If you are coming into grand central, just hop on the 4 train and it will have you at the stadium in 15 to 20 minutes. After the game, they line up the subways and get people out of there quickly. Don't know why you heard such bad things about the NYC subway, but it is the best deal on earth...

That area of the South Bronx is perfectly safe, especially on a game day when 50,000 people are milling about and there are a ton of cops out. One other piece of advice... They won't allow you to bring drinks in bottles into the game, but you can save a ton by bringing other food stuff in. If you take the subway, when you hop off, hang a right onto 161st street (past the McDonalds) away from the stadium. There are lots of places you can get food from. On the opposite side of the street from McDs, about half a block down is one place I always go to (sorry, no idea what the name is). For example, if you buy peanuts there, they are $1.50 or $2 or something like that. Inside the stadium, the same exact bag--same brand and all--is $5. People I go with often get sandwiches there and bring them in. Way less expensive than buying food in the stadium... I always take a short walk down there and buy some stuff--even if I am not hungry--out of principle. I remembered why last week, when we got up there late for a game and I didn't have time to stop for food outside. So we stopped at the concession stand and got a hot dog (not for me), a pretzel and two jumbo beers. It cost $25. Each of the beers was $9! By the seventh inning, when drunken fights were breaking out all around me (it was Yankees/Sox weeknight game) and the idiots were getting dragged out by security, I was seriously wondering how any of these guys--none of whom looked like Wall Street tycoons--could afford to get drunk at the Stadium.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favor and get to the Stadium a couple hours early. No, not to visit the god damn monuments with all of the other tourists. Instead, go a block east of the Stadium (under the train overpass) on E. 161 St. and find yourself a stool at Yankee Tavern. Some respected SportsJournalists.com posters prefer more modern places like Stan's, but the real place to go is Yankee Tavern, which opened for business in 1923 and has one of the best steam tables around. I'd stick with the pastrami or the brisket.

[​IMG]

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

subway

Might as well get to see it now before George the Third has his way.

Hopefully you did not get seats in the outfield bleachers. They are great if you really want a taste of NY flavor, but for three hours?

4. Joel_Goodsen

Joel_Goodsen Member

You could take Jerome Avenue from the George Washington Bridge.

It is sort of the scenic route and if your car is dirty, you won't have a hard time finding a detailing shop along the way to clean it for you.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You never know who you'll meet there. :D

Agree about the Subway...easy, fast, no-brainer. On game days/nights, the whole train is full of tourists wearing new Yankees caps, and uncomfortable wives from Dallas clutching their handbags. Just follow the crowd.

Go early to see the monuments....cheesy and touristy,but you'll be glad you did.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

How easy is it to get tickets to the Stadium nowadays? Can you still walk up and get seats an hour before the first pitch?

7. Hustle

Hustle Guest

It's been a looong time since I went there, but the last time I went, we used an exit straight off the highway and into the parking lot. I want to say it was the Major Deegan Expwy, but I can't remember for sure.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You oughta see the uncomfortable wives from NY down here on Cowboys game days.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Had to be the Deegan (I-87) and it really isn't hard to drive to the game but it's expensive and getting out is difficult. I highly recommend the world's finest mass transit system. It's safe, clean and usually air-conditioned, although tightly packed in the hour before or after a game.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

OK. So I didn't make it last year when tickets were, you know, reasonable. And I'm pretty clearly running out of time. So here's the situation:

I think I'm taking the mustardwife to a Sunday night game. The plan, as of now, is to fly in to NYC the early morning of the game, spend the day doing the city thing, hit the game at night and leave the next day.

We've managed not to take a bootsing on the price of the airfare (flying in and out of JFK). Is it reasonable to try and just get a hotel at JFK since we're only going to spend a few hours there before flying out the next day?

How much time and trouble are we looking at in getting from the park to a hotel there? It looks like we'd have to be pretty stupid not to be able to handle the connections -- I'm just wondering if it's a ridiculously long ride.

Also, many of the stops on the D line are saying "Part time, non-rush, off peak: Stops all times except rush hours peak direction (6:15 a.m. - 9 a.m. to Manhattan, 4 p.m. - 6:45 p.m. from Manhattan)" Does that mean that's a postgame stop? Because that's the way I'm reading it.

Thanks, gang.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Leave your Ryan Howard jersey at home.

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Awesome. Actually, I've got a Bobby Abreu one. That should maybe be safe, shouldn't it?

Draft saved Draft deleted