1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting story ideas

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SportsDude, Jun 25, 2008.

1. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Another writer and I were discussing this today and thought it would make a good topic. You show up at the office, you have no games and you have nothing on the slate - where do you start, how do you get going? I suggested keeping a notebook of feature ideas and possible sidebar stories on hand in case the well runs dry or you hit a slow time of year. Any other suggestions?
  2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

There's no news in the newsroom.

Go out and get/find something.
  3. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

Call sources and ask what's going on.
  4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

When you're doing your normal questions at practice for a preview or something ask some questions about what players and coaches like to do for fun. You might find a cool feature idea that you can use down the road that way.
  5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Active Member

Could you call my boss and tell him that? It would be great if he knew at least before he retires.
  6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I have a file that I keep story ideas, notes, press releases in that I can rifle through when I need story ideas. Even in the non-sports world there are days where stories are slim pickens.

All the suggestions so far are really good. Here's another one, geared towards press releases, but you can use it with old stories, notes, half-remembered conversations...

Take your press release, read it. Now, forget what the story in the release is, look through it and make a list of what other stories you could write from it. It takes a little practice, but it's a great way to come up with some fresh ideas.
  7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Being a twice weekly, the summer is super slim pickins with no HS sports going on.

My "cover story" for today's paper was the downturn of alumni football games as there were five last year and now only two. I know, hard hitting stuff.

I have something juicy for Saturday, but after that...back to BS-ing with whoever I can to dig up stories. Hell...I have already started writing "basketball coach at new school" stories to fill the space. Figure come late Nov...I have filler til bball season with a few updates.

Good way to kill time, see if anyone in your area is trying out for an olympic or paraolympic sport. I found out I have one guy for murderball in my area and I had a late 30-something wrestler attempt what may have been his last shot at glory. I think there is a girl trying to track as well. Again, still have to do some digging on these stories.

I've been at this shop for two years now, so it's getting easier to find random stories like this.

Good luck!
  8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

We always have tons of camps going on and hit those pretty hard.

There's always something going on. Hell, I covered wrestling at a county fair last night.
  9. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Active Member

Mud, or bear?
  10. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted