1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting screwed over by bosses ... how to deal?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jpm_fanboy, Aug 24, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Tuesday, Thursday and Fridays were preps... Not saying I didn't in the eight-weeks of summer. The having to work when my car blew up pissed me off.
    In fairness, it was a two-man staff with a D1 university in town. And I was No. 2 in seniority in the whole editorial department -- behind the SE

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I did not regularly have consecutive days off during my first 13 years in the business -- until I finally left sports for good.

3. Not even vacation?

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The smallest paper I worked for (the last one) was the best one I've worked at.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hmmmm, the smallest paper i worked for was the best as well. didn't pay for shit, but they took care of their people.

6. taking care of people...a novel concept nowadays. good job, corporate america, making everyone lube up and practice bending over before they walk into the office each day.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the folks who bought up papers in the past decade are bottom feeders and their newspaper philosophy is nothing more than a shell game.

a vast majority will rake it in and then declare BK when the profit margins drop below 7 ... if it happens in the same year, we're all fucked.

8. 7? try 17 if it's cnhi. or gatehouse.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I understand what you are saying, but it just doesn't work like that in smaller shops. It could, but no one seems to want to make it so.

At my first job - a four-person staff, with three part-timers - I didn't have consecutive days off for my first 2 years there. That's just how life was.

I learned to attempt to find some fun on Sunday and Wednesday nights.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

my last place made 43. that is not a typo. and they froze out countless jobs while i was there because 43 (that is not a typo) was not enough.

11. 20-something means bossman can't play at the local country club anymore. so time for him to slash some warm bodies.

Draft saved Draft deleted