1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting pesky high school athletes to talk (just a little!)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ouipa, Feb 5, 2008.

1. 0-fer

0-fer Member

I don't remember where I got this (wish I did), but it has always worked. People who have a craft love to talk about their craft. That goes for high school athletes, too. Linemen will loosen up talking about blocking schemes i.e. if 'What was going through your head as the RB got past the line of scrimmage and broke in for the game-winning score?' gets an 'Uh, it was good, I don't know,' try something asking about what the line was doing, who was pulling, what was defense's alignment, what adjustments did the O-line make when they saw that and so on.
    It makes you think a little more about the play or the game itself, which is good, and it gives them something they can talk about with a little more ease, often, than their emotions.
    It also helps, as many have noted, to use a notebook, although I've used a recorder and been just as well off. The biggest thing is if you're relaxed, the kid can be relaxed. Say 'What's up, man,' shake the kid's hand, and just relax and talk about the game. Even if you know you're going to be cramming to make deadline and you just want to hurry up and get something, with kids you kind of have to slow it down, calm yourself and just talk.
    As to hanging out with the kids, playing HORSE and what not, I'm not a big fan of that. They're only a few years younger than me, by and large, but that's still kind of creepy as noted elswhere. I will say hey if I recognize someone at another game or in town or whatever, and I might chat for a sec just about how the kid's doing, but that's about it.
    That's pretty much all I've got. Hope it helps

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Thanks for making me feel like a pedophile. I appreciate that.
    I wasn't suggesting buying them beer on a Saturday night and being a lookout while Johnny Tailback bangs some chick in the back seat. I'm talking about those 15 or 20 minutes when I need to talk to a coach, get to the school a few minutes early and before the coach is out of class, and some of the kids that I know from whatever team are shooting baskets or throwing the football around. I get bored. A basketball rolls near me, I might shoot it. They start playing HORSE, I might join in until the coach gets there. Nobody's around, I might get a ball from the bin and shoot a little. A football bounces near me while a couple guys are playing catch before practice, I pick it up and throw it. And if I'm at a baseball practice where someone offers to let me take BP, I'm never turning it down.
    Basically, I like sports. I like to play sports. If I get a chance to do that, kill some time, and maybe show these guys that I actually know something about the game I'm covering, it's a plus. In the meantime, you talk to these people. You get to know them. They get to know you. And, when you have to talk to them for a story, they'll actually, you know, talk, for the simple fact that they're more comfortable around you.
    There's lines you don't cross, obviously, when it comes to socializing. But it's a lot easier to do this job when you know something about the person you're interviewing and what their personality is like.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Yeah, like showing up to practice after school to hang out.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yes, that is creepy. And it's not at all what I'm talking about.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

It's easy to get them to talk and to get a good quote out of them. You need to find the one moment in the game where you think they displayed the most emotion or had the biggest impact and ask after that.

6. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

"You guys on Myspace?"

[​IMG]

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

dangle sex and drugs in front of high school students and they'll do anything.

If you told a 4th year sophomore at the worst high school in America he'd get a blow job from a female, if he got a "A" on his next math test, mutha fuckin kid would be Isaac Newton on test day.

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

This may be a stereotype, but ask the coach to rank the team in GPA order. You know the first three or four on that list will put together intelligent answers to questions they understand.

I agree with developing a rapport. My best trick? When I see a kid listening to an iPod during warm-ups or between events, I ask what they're listening to. If I'm not familiar with the music, I ask them to tell me about it. Because music is very personal, they get a sense that I'm interested and also realize I don't write down everything they say.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm with you to a point Batman. Coach tells you practice starts at 4 p.m, you get there and coach isn't there. They are still doing something in class. So, you bullshit with a couple of kids. Shoot a couple of hoops, talk to a couple of assistants, whatever.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I'm talking about, Angola. Thank you. I feel like I can stop looking over my shoulder for Chris Hanson now.

11. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

One question I have for some of the people who have had problems getting high school athletes to talk. How old are some of you?

I'm not trying to be condescending with the question, but I think it might be an influence. I'm 22-years-old and for the most part, I haven't had a lot of issues with players not opening up. I wonder if that lack of an age gap sometimes helps the athlete feel more comfortable than compared to be an interviewed by someone in their 30s or 40s.

Or maybe I've just been lucky.

12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

One word is a key to any follow-up: Why?

Draft saved Draft deleted