1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting pesky high school athletes to talk (just a little!)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ouipa, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

But be sure they are aware that the recorder is on, first.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i have no idea why someone would need to use one at a HS game anyway.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Have you tried having a conversation with them instead of interviewing them?

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

just keep asking them to elaborate over and over again until they dont suck at answering questions

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Others have said it, but familiarity is a big key. Some kids will never talk. Others won't talk until they know you a little. When you have time, go a little before practice. Down here, most teams practice around 2:30 or 3, but there's always a few seniors or other players with a study hall or something during seventh period. They'll hang out in the gym or fieldhouse until practice. Just shoot the shit with them, shoot baskets, play a game of H-O-R-S-E or throw the football around. Put the notebook away. Let them know that not everything they say to you is going to end up in the paper.
    You'll hear some great stories about how the team captain got shit-faced at a party last weekend. How five guys had to run laps for an hour after practice because they skipped fifth period history. Why the running back who looks like a stud in practice never plays -- because he took one good lick and cried. Basically, stuff you'll never have a need or desire to run in the paper, but that give you an idea of who these kids are. And, over the course of a season (especially if most of the same kids play every sport, as is often the case), you'll start to build a rapport with them and they'll open up.
    It takes some work, but it's worth it.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

yeah i did that once and my recorded was filled with 9 minutes of sounds of writing and pages flipping

7. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Just like anyone else. When I did news and covered city councils, I had my go-to people as well.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Trying talking to the player about their teammates first, then ease into his or her performance. A lot of times, people will be bring their guards down when talking about someone else. Once you've developed a good rapport and they know you're not digging for dirt, they should feel comfortable enough to talk about themselves.

And, Jgmacg has a good point. Sometimes the conversation is the key. If you don't treat them like a tool, they won't act like one. Laugh a little, say something stupid like, "Man, only 28 points tonight?" Get them to chuckle. Everything will be fine after that.

9. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I have always had luck talking to kids on a team if I actually hide the recorder under my notepad and then I write a few words etc down on the pad while I talk to them.

I am not sure, but High School player's and some Junior College player's are not very good with talking to reporter's because they need to teach a class or something in talking to the media.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Creepy. Very creepy.

11. Everything about covering preps is creepy. When I finally got out of it, I wasn't happy only because I wanted to be "big-time" or because I knew it was considered by some uppity types as the "mail room of the newsroom."

After a while, I didn't like what I was contributing to - putting 16- and 17-year-olds on a ridiculous pedestal, using their naivete, in some ways, to advance my own career.

Now recruiting, of course, is part of my job. And that's totally on the up-and-up.

12. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

so you're suggesting hanging out unsupervised with HS kids in the gym while school is still in session and talking to them about how drunk their teammates got over the weekend?

maybe not

i'm all for developing relationships with those you cover, but let's be smart about it

Draft saved Draft deleted