1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting pesky high school athletes to talk (just a little!)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ouipa, Feb 5, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I've asked players who hit a game winning shot/scored the game winning touchdown, etc. what was going through their mind either before or as they did so.

But Angola!'s point about going to enough games so that the kids will be comfortable around you is a good one, no matter what sport or what level.

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I was just gonna post that. I always use a notebook when talking to high schoolers. I didn't start that way when I was free-lancing and covering big schools, but when I took a full-time gig in a small area, I switched because none of them seemed like they'd ever been interviewed.

I also think it's a bad idea to say, "act natural." That normally implies something negative is happening. I normally say, "Hey, gotta sec? I just wanna talk about the game."

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I like to have my recorder going for several reasons (get the quote 100 percent accurate, have a backup in case someone says they were misquoted, etc.), but I think that's true to a certain extent. I actually always take notes as I'm recording anyway, so I just hold the recorder under the notebook.

They know they're being recorded, but it's not right in their face. I think they feel more like they're talking to me and not trying to give a soundbyte.

It's a good system ... If I don't quite get a quote written down, I've got the audio backup. If I screw up the recording, I've got my notes.

4. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

i'd never use a tape recorder for HS kids

ask the coach who's the best talker on the team

get the kid away from his teammates

maintain eye contact + listen

start out just talking, get him comfortable, gradually start writing stuff down

and never turn in a game story without quotes only from coaches

5. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I think familiarity is a big key. But if they aren't talkative, I go two or three questions and that's it. If they warm up to talking, then you keep going. You might have to talk to 3-4 kids, if you can get 3-4 kids to talk, and this is about five minutes total.

It's almost always worth the extra time.

6. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

kids are often more at ease talking about someone else...their teammates/friends....start out in the second person direction, then bend it back their way as best as you can

7. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

That's a damn lot of points!

Anyone remember back to being a high school athlete ... I wanted like hell to be in the paper ... it's 15 years later and I still have every last clipping that ever mentioned me. I think a good strategy sometimes is to get to the kid who doesn't get a lot of press (assuming they did something noteworthy enough to be mentioned).

8. John

John Well-Known Member

I was about to post the same thing.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

All good advice.

My only quibble is don't just go with who the coach suggests if you are covering the team regularly. Some of the best HS quote machines are kids who don't exactly toe the PC line.

Bottom line is some HS kids are just terrible quotes. Some are golden, though.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I usually hide mine under the notepad. I scribble, but not quick enough to take quotes down accurately, so the recorder is a must.

11. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

If you decide to use a recorder, be discreet about it - keep it underneath the notepad as opposed to shoving it in a kid's face. Also, if the answer is "Yes" or "Great" or something monosyllabic, ask "Why?"

If it's not on deadline and you're talking to a kiddo for a feature, take the time to turn off the recorder and just talk about something completely unrelated to the story you're working on, like movies or the NFL or something. Or ask if he or she grew up in the area - that always tends to get an interesting response.

12. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Try this: ask them to describe an element of the game to you. Sure, they'll think you are a no-nothing dickhead, but it will make them open up and feel smarter (and superior).

"You guys switched to a 1-3-1 zone late in the first half, but I'm curious...what is the key responsibility that coach asks of the top guy?"

"Can you show me?"

You'll have to sit back and act interested for a minute or two. But it gets easier from there. 

Draft saved Draft deleted