1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting Paid

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by leglace, Sep 29, 2008.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Send an invoice whether they want it or not. E-mail it and get them to send a confirmation that it was received. That way, you have a record of when you submitted request for payment and acknowledgement of when it was received, and you can send another copy in case they claim they know nothing.

One more tip: Always give the invoice a number. I use the date as the number on mine (ex: Invoice #100208), but even if it's as simple as 1, 2 or 3, number it. That way, when someone acts confused, you can shoot back, ``My records show invoice No. 16 was received by Joe Useless on June 10. Here's a copy to refresh your memory.''

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah, and the best way to get someone to send payment is to keep bugging them until they are so sick of you they pay you just to get rid of you. It doesn't always work, but being a pest can be quite fun, so you've got that going for you. Which is nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted