1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting over an awful breakup

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by IllMil, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Betta off witout dat trick, ya dig? Give me time wit Babs and her band of bitches and I'll git dem right for the next man...and the next man...and the next man, feel me?

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I've been undermined by the friends on several occasions...it really sucked at the time, but if they didn't have the smarts to think for themselves, just as well.
    One time, I was dating someone with whom things were starting to go well when she mentioned she was going to the beach with an old HS classmate of hers...girl I had dated the year before, where things did not end well. The red light went off, and sure enough, this girl found excuses not to go out for the next three weeks before giving me the old "I don't think this is going to work out." Neither one of us brought up the real reason - maybe I was just as ready to move on by then.
    And more than 20 years later, this girl with whom things did not end well almost came back to haunt me AGAIN, when Mrs. T was invited to join the board of directors of an AIDS patients residence this girl's sister was running. Luckily, Mrs. T. got a job which ended her days of cooking Friday night dinner there and eventually left the board, but there could've been a REALLY awkward situation at a fundraiser, holiday party, etc.

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I had a bad breakup once and went partying and had a string of flings. Actually wasn't as fun as it sounded. Don't know if it was my personality or what, but I tended to meet girls who were away from home or new to the area so the whole "friend sabotage" thing was not really an issue.

I would suggest investing in your hobby---gym/athletics/stamp collecting what have you.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I am so, so, so glad that I was done dating by the time social media and text messages hit.

She might have had a job and volunteered and everything else, but she still sounds like a woo girl. That's not uncommon at age 23, of course. But if someone your dating still frequently travels in packs after a year of dating, then she's probably not too ready for a serious relationship.

Couple things worth noting:

(1) If people don't like things you're doing "on Facebook," maybe you should back off of Facebook a little bit. I have no idea how you use it because you didn't really say, but obviously you pissed some people off. Is it worth it?

(2) Time will heal. I know that advice sucks, but it has stood the test of time. She wasn't the one. You'll know you're in a mature relationship with "the one" pretty quickly once you are actually in one. When people are "wasted" and there are busted-down doors and accusation drama and Facebook drama and everything else going on, that's probably not a serious, mature relationship.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I kind of miss the prevalance of gimmick posters. Lot of good humor in a consistent gimmick.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I miss Flipper

7. Mama Ilmago

Mama Ilmago New Member

Who are the top 10 gimmick posters of all time?

8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Roger_Clemens is one of my faves.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not you....yet.

But it's a tricky thing. Clubber had a great shtick, but he actually posted like a real person a lot, too. As far as pure gimmicks go, some of the top ones:
    --Flipper
    --this_board_sucks
    --bs.police
    --Raisin Ham
    --Nelson_Mandela (tho he doesn't have the frequency, he had one of the greatest posts ever, context-wise).
    --Jacques Villarreal (posted only in French)
    --Ryan_Howard (if only for how IJAG reacts to his posts)
    --creamora
    --The Granny (in small doses)

10. fromage et frottage

fromage et frottage New Member

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Oh, and it's a known fact that the best way to get over someone is to get under someone else. Good luck! :)

12. Ryan Howard

Ryan Howard New Member

Straight legit .. like the new Subway Big Hot Pastrami.

Draft saved Draft deleted