1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting over an awful breakup

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by IllMil, Feb 10, 2011.

1. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

My friends liked her but made it clear they thought her friends were raging bitches. They thought she was a bit quiet, but they had no ill will. The only people in her circle that liked me were her siblings and guy friends.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Okay I'm way over 23 but I still remember the good (and not so good times.)

Do not lose sight of the reality of the situation; you're a good enough catch that this woman spent a year of her life with you. You've got a lot going for you, others will find you just as attractive, if not more. Do not every lose faith in yourself.

If you start feeling like a loser, you'll project that and no one will want you (my female roommmate once said "we can see desperation a mile away.")

As the others said, yes you may have cared for her, but would you want to be dealing with that friendship sabotage for 20 years? No way.

Costanza used to you "you've got to have some hand (upper hand)", well in some ways yes, you've always got to remember that you're bringing something to the table as well, she should be grateful to be with you as well and if she's not, its her loss, not yours. Do not beg, ever. Even if she's Brooklyn Decker, don't sell yourself short.

Don't rush it, but get back out there and resume your life.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

To be perfectly honest, I have never encountered a situation like yours before, and I really don't think you can blame it on the friends -- if your girlfriend is willing to dump you because of them, that's on her.

It has been a while, but I generally put friends of girls I was dating in three categories:

1. Fun to spend time with.
    2. Pains in the butt best avoided
    3. Possible future dating material

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Bang one of the friends. You pretty much have to at this point.

5. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Right. I don't disagree with this at all. When my friends would say anything slightly negative about her, I defended her. I have a feeling that didn't go both ways.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Make better life choices.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Getting over a break up such as this sometimes requires professional help.

the massage parlors near military bases are usually the best.

8. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

No argument with that either.

9. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Is that why "It burns! It burns!"?
    :D

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I lost some friends when I met the man I'm spending the rest of my life with. The choice was always mine. I think the right person is out there for you .... you'll know when you find her.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Hey, that's my move!

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You chose poorly. :D

(Love you, JR)

Draft saved Draft deleted