1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting over an awful breakup

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by IllMil, Feb 10, 2011.

1. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Undermining 101.

Look kid, if you don't have the stomach for passive-aggressive mind games, don't even get in the ring in the first place.

2. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Sounds like an unworkable situation. You're better off without.

I was engaged to my high school sweetheart at a pretty young age for these days (20). We eventually imploded, she half-broke it off, and then entirely broke it off when she met some other guy on study abroad. I was 21 and that was pretty much the show for me; I had already let the love of my life walk out on me and had nothing else left to do. Drank a lot. Smoked a lot.

June will be me and my wife's fourth anniversary. I'm 28 now. Shit happens, shit passes. You'll be OK. This one just does not sound worthwhile.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Her friends sound like a nightmare. That's usually the case when you're in your early to mid 20s.

This applies to men and women. The friends see the significant other as competition for their attention. Then there's the jealously factor.

Goddamn, I'm glad I'm happily married.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Never date someone when their friends hate you. It means either you're the problem or your boyfriend/girlfriend is not mature enough for a serious relationship if they have friends who can't don't want them to be happy.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would submit further that she might have been trying to get you to end it for a long time, thereby absolving herself of any guit, and that's why she was so willing to use her friends as a wedge. Seen that happen many times. It's never pretty and it's usually obvious to everyone except the person it's happening to.

6. printdust

printdust New Member

Imagine spending 25, 30, 50 years with this bundle of joy.

Seriously, divine providence set you free. Enjoy.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fuck her... well, not literally but if you do, steal 30-40 bucks from her purse and leave.
    Otherwise, consider yourself lucky. Like printdust said, imagine spending a life with this woman.
    Went through that 17 years ago when I dated a woman I worked with. Her best friend didn't like me; I knew I was toast. After a couple of weeks, didn't bother me as much as I thought.

8. printdust

printdust New Member

All of us have had horror stories to one degree or another. I thank God a few times that some of those, including an ex-wife, are far, far into my past. My current wife owns me, so I couldn't gripe even if I wanted to escape, which I don't.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It's when some of the friends don't like you, and she still doesn't give a shit, that you know you have a real keeper. Somebody that truly has your back.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Still not seeing how the girl is a batshit crazy bitch.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't see it that way. I see the girl as too immature to be in a serious relationship.

12. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Actually I had this feeling for awhile. Like I've been saying to my friends, I knew over the last month it wasn't going to work, but the finality of it ending, and how it did, still hurt.

Draft saved Draft deleted