1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting over an awful breakup

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by IllMil, Feb 10, 2011.

1. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Just stuck at work and this has been on my mind all week. No one to talk to here and having one of the rough days. I've noticed it seems to go in cycles. One day I'm OK and content with moving forward, then I have a day like today where I just want to be unconscious.

I'm only 23 and I'm rational enough to know this isn't the end of the line and there are far worse things that could happen, but man does it suck. It was by far my most serious relationship (a year) up to this point.

The undoing was really that her friends despised me from day one. Hell, even prior to day one. In the very beginning she used to show me texts from them about things they say me doing on Facebook, why I was a douchebag, etc. When I walked in a room they wouldn't look at me or talk to me. Eventually it became too much. I never understood how she knew them because she was so different and seemed more mature.

It ended last Friday night. I went out with she and her friends and we went back to my apartment. About 10 feet from the door, her friends pull up (so they tailed us home) and honked and yelled at her to get in, she's wasted, walks to the car and then gets semi-pulled in, they shut off her phone and I can't reach her. About an hour later I get a call that says her door was bashed in and they all think it's me.

Obviously, it wasn't. That's the last I saw of her. A phone argument the next morning and it was over. I question that her door was even broken at all.

I know this sounds like a shitfest, and it probably was, but being left to wonder what the hell happened really sucks. Better off without this crap, I know, but that doesn't make it any easier right now. I think about her 24/7. When it was just me and her, it was a great relationship. I just couldn't beat her friends. It was like I never had a chance.

Oh well, that's my sad piano theme story. Just venting.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

She sounds bat shit crazy and her friends are the same. You are better off without her.

3. Sir Sid

Sir Sid Member

This

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Is it possible you are a douchebag?

5. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I guess anything's possible. I just know her friends decided I was one before they could ever be able to tell I actually was, and demolished me nonstop when I wasn't around.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

If we asked her what happened, what would she say? Women who are happy in a relationship don't walk away because their friends make them. They walk away because there's another issue.

Not saying you should try to fix it, but it might be good to know so you have some closure.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You dated a woo girl and are wondering what the problem is now? It's time to go out with someone who is an adult. Next time, date someone whose friends don't hate you.

8. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I've asked. Won't talk to me. The closest thing I got to closure was the night of the Super Bowl. I'm a Packer fan and she never cared about sports, but she sent me a text that said "I'm unhappy we're not together but I feel like I should say go Pack or something, because without you I wouldn't care." That was the last contact.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I love the phrase "woo girl." Did How I Met Your Mother come up with that or has that been out there?

10. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I knew the response would be "bitch is crazy," but she honestly wasn't. She worked a steady job. She volunteered at shelters, she had a strong family, she was normal. I wouldn't date a crazy bitch for a year. Things went south when she moved in with one of her friends. That was about a month ago, and after that, nothing worked.

11. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

First of all, may I say from personal experience that when your s/o's friends don't like you, you are going to have a very, very tough time making it last. My ex-boyfriend had a lot of female friends (who were in relationships of their own) and used to claim that none of them liked me at all and he was better off without me. (Of course, I'm starting to wonder how much of that was him trying to not have us be friends. We've compared notes after the fact and a lot of what he was saying was bullshit.) One even said that she thought I had mental deficiencies. It was somewhat of a big thing with us that his female friends didn't like me. (Of course, the guys he lived with liked me a LOT...so much so that when we broke up, they were basically on my side. But anyway.)

Closure is good. Even though you've had the "final fight" or whatever, when you can sit down a month or so from now and not hate the sight of each other, you might try to discuss it over coffee. Closure is important so that everyone can move on and, most importantly, so you don't make the same mistakes you did down the road.

Good luck.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I read the thread title and went "wow, someone's taking Ilmago's departure pretty damn hard."

Draft saved Draft deleted