1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sjfan1, Sep 15, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

If you want to design, go to a business that focuses on that. I don't know why more "visual" people don't do that anyway. Why be in a business that focuses should focus on writing when you don't want to focus on writing? It's silly.

2. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

starbucks

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I left the biz a little over a year ago to head back to school (finance). In June I'll leave school with a $50K job. Second best decision I've ever made.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hope it works out as well as your first gig.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

goody. Boots' secret sauce...

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Here's the thing, only you can really answer this. You know what other skills you have, what other type of work you can do. You know what you enjoy.
    Had a friend get out and go to law school. He's making a fortune and is happy.
    Had another friend get out. He went into banking and PR and made more money and then went into teaching. He's making less money, working twice as hard as he ever has and is about 100 times as happy. So he won with that decision.
    Was in a hospital recently, they had a list of available jobs posted in the elevator. Amazing variety, amazing pay ranges. Jobs ARE out there. Even if journalism type skills are all you have, you can find something where they work. I'm betting you have other skills, too. Don't limit yourself.

A friend gave me great advice years ago - life is WAY too short to spend even one miniscule fraction of it being miserable. If you are miserable, find something else ASAP.

If I ever get out of this sometimes crazy, sometimes very frustrating business I will probably try to get a job selling books. As we get older, our financial commitments shrink. I'm not yet to the point where mine are such that I can take a pay hit but I'm getting there. I love to read, I love to converse. I'll be Barnes and Noble's best salesman. Or I'll open my own small shop with my wife, who loves to read and loves to converse.

Analyze yourself and figure out your next move.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Spot on, Moddy. A journalist is likely to find him/herself fairly valuable after leaving the business. Employers these days aren't necessarily looking for IQ, but rather EI or emotional intelligence. Employers want folks who can deal with people and interpret their communications and emotions. And, unless you have some serious people-skills or self-confidence issues, journalists are normally pretty good at handling people.

8. The Duke

The Duke Member

start masturbating.
    you'll sleep better and feel better about everything in life.

9. A former colleague of mine is now an underwater welder, making six figures. Who knew?

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

who knew so many people wanted to repair their underclothes instead of buying new ones?

does he also repair boxers?

11. Saw the writing on the wall, bagged his copy editing gig, went to vo-tech school for a year and was hired immediately . . . with a huge signing bonus. Definitely not a safe job, but VERY lucrative.

Draft saved Draft deleted